Cheap Eats schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]¿contienen los pies del pollo[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks all, now I have to change my shirt...I drooled all over this one. Del Sur and Chilangos sound like winners, and then go for some coconut lionfish for lunch one day!! One month from yesterday!!!![/FONT]

Another vote here for La Perlita and the Coconut crusted Lionfish - had it in December and it was excellent. I would not put La Perlita on the "Cheap Eats" list though; it was certainly very reasonable and the food was excellent, and very large portions. Also, El Moro - if you are there on a Sunday, ask for the Conchinita Pibil. It's not on the regular menu, but they serve it on Sunday only until they run out. It's really delicious, and more than I could eat - on order is probably enough for two people. But you really ought to plan on getting there no later than 3:00 p.m. Or so if you want to be sure they still have it. When I used to go for the Cheap Eats menu to save on cash, I always had my main meal be a late lunch - say 1:30 or 2:00 - and hit the Loncherias. My favorite is Sabores, on Ave 5 between Calle 3 and 5. A great 3 Course lunch for 70 pesos plus tip. Then, having filled up on lunch, a light, late dinner at one of the Taquerias along Ave 30, or a couple of Empanadas at Del Sur, was plenty.

El Pique on 30 is dirt cheap and very good. I also love El Chino Mareno (sp) on the Transversal and Ave 25 across from the hotel, fantastic Camarron Tortas for about $30 pesos each. As Christi mentioned Burritos Gorditos on 65 is great for $60 peso large burritos. Slightly more money, but fantastic food for lunch, at a good price with a view, Blue Angel. Their Chimichangas are my favorite anywhere and they are only about $70 pesos if memory from last week serves me correctly. The Rotisserie Chicken place on ave 30 and calle 2 across from Covi is great as well, 90 pesos for a whole chicken, rice, noodles and sauce. We always get at least a few meals out of the Chicken.

Hey, you HAVE to hit Del Sur...those empanadas are unforgettable. We still rave to our friends about them. And Rene makes a mean chimichurri too!

Add my unqualified endorsement for Del Sur. and CVChief is right - this is not necessarily Cheap Eats. If you can manage to get out of there with only 3 Empanadas and a Cervesa, you'll be lucky. But once you taste those Empanadas, you'll find yourself tempted to keep getting more. The Del Sur Empanada, with Bacon and Plum, is a must try. And on the desert menu, the Banana and Dulce de Leche Empanada is awesome. And yes, the Chimichurri sauce is really good, too.

I still wish Rene at del Sur was open for lunch. When he first opened when went there for lunch about every other day. Forgot another place Casa del Mojito on 5 south of the square, awesome Cuban sandwich.

Burritos Gorditos is also getting a lot of buzz...

Oh and on the cheap beat, we love Parilla Mission on 30th. Pretty darn cheap and includes a 'hots' bar with assorted stuff. I have no idea what most of it is, but it is tasty. The green bits in the white sauce, which has been IDed as either poblano pepper or nopales, is very tasty. Sadly they often make a crappy margarita, so I stick with cervesa there. Good for 'typical' mexican. Fajitas, fish, etc. Nice grill.

I mentioned this too - always a great easy, cheap and quick dinner. Those are one of my favorites too - they are "rajas" - which are sliced up poblano peppers with the cream sauce and usually corn in there too - delicious!

I also LOVE Del Sur - but it's not such a cheap place - when you order an empanada or two for appetizer, then one of their delicious grilled entrees and then an empanada or two for desert (take out) - it's not so cheap anymore - but well worth every peso! I agree it is not to be missed, but I wouldn't classify it in the cheap eats category!

There are also great empanadas on the corner of Calle 17 and Av. 20 - I want to say it is called Tres Hermanas??? It's green and open in the mornings and then again in the early evenings - really delicious local style empanadas for 8 pesos each!

Also the shrimp taco place I listed is on the transversal at 110th or 115th on the SOUTH side of the street (on the right if heading towards the other side of the island)- 2 or 3 blocks east of the NEW PEMEX that is on the right hand side as you are heading towards the other side. It's called Tacos Camaron Dorados (or maybe those words in reverse - haha)

There is also ANOTHER great shrimp taco/torta place on Juarez right at Av. 55 - just as you pass Casa Mission - can't remember the name but I love their tacos and tortas too - $25 pesos for a shrimp torta and $15 pesos per taco

Also, don't forget Camilos!!! It's on Av. 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 - just north of Kinta! GREAT seafood tacos, tortas, tostadas, ceviches, and full on meals. Tacos and tortas are very cheap and delicious!!!

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 12:24 PM ----------

I would also vote for Sabores. My second favorite mole, I think.

That's another one I don't get - I've been sick from there on more than one occasion! And I have a tough stomach! But some people love it :)

Chilangos on Ave. 10 between 13 and 15 also very good for economy home cooked lunch

OH YEH - and then there is also La Candela at the corner of Ave. 5 and Calle 6 - really good and cheap breakfast and lunch! Different meals each day for $50 to $60 pesos!

Also Contento Corazon - on the corner of Av. 10 and Calle 2 - breakfast and lunch!

There is also a new place on Salas between Av. 5 and Av 10 - don't know the name of it - but getting good reviews - it is on the right hand side of the street just before the corner of Av. 10 - next to the original La Choza

Girasoles is also really good - on Calle 3 between Av. 10 and Av. 5

And Cozumel Bakery - for breakfast - corner of Av. 10 and Calle 3

There are soo many!

Last edited:
Oh wow...forgot about Sabores....another +1
And good point about Del Sur....I go in intent on a small bite, a couple empanadas. I leave after several, kinda like Lays potato chips..you cannot eat just one!

Back
Top Bottom