Cheap Flights into Roatan / Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportyluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I have two weeks vacation left for this year and would like to do a 1 week trip to Roatan. It's been on my list for a while but frankly I just can't find any decent flight deals / schedules so I'm wondering if people here can help!

I've been looking for flights out of Toronto but they are usually around $1000 and take 20 hrs with 2 stops. Are there cheaper flights out of New York, Chicago or Miami? Do you find it's cheaper to fly into a neighboring country and then taking a short flight from there?

Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated!

I go late February to early March each year. The cheapest I have seen them was this year for $600. Air transat from Montreal but I expect you can find similar prices from Toronto. I flew commercial only once but usually isn't cheaper than charter.

This may not help you much since you're in Canada....but just for reference = my experience on 4 trips from Boston = anywhere from $650-$925, typically Delta through Atlanta. 3 trips in March and one in July. I tend to book well in advance (the high end of the range was 2 weeks in advance last year, though)

The best deal I could find was on Aero Mexico however I'm flying into SAP and heading to Utila. I got Vancouver to SAP for $695 Cdn and when I change my departure airport to YYZ ( using google flight matrix ) the airfare drops below to $434.

That's for a January departure so YMMV but it's far less expensive than my usual routing on United.

Might sound crazy, but, our group is going to Roatan in March. From Chicago, nothing less than $900-$1000. So, we all booked to leave late Friday, stay at an airport hotel in Dallas, and the same on the way home. Leave Saturday, over night in Dallas then home to Chicago before noon. The hotel is $70 per night. For my spouse and I, we saved over $300 (over $600 as a couple) on each airfare and then only had to pay $140 for 2 overnights. So, saved over $440. Not ideal, but better than the ridiculous airfares from Chicago to Roatan same day. Makes me crazy that I'm paying the same airfare for a direct flight from Chicago to Dublin, Ireland next Summer as I am for this "overnight" trip to Roatan. Oh well. Both vacations should be fun.

Rob

Rob, we often do the same thing when we fly out of Houston. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from home and we can usually get away with only having to spend a hotel night before our departure. The skies USED to be much friendlier o_O

It is certainly a route worth using air miles for!

I am a member of the British Ariways executive club. I BUY miles through them, and use them on the AA flights to Roatan. It costs approximately half doing it that way!

Delta has $804CDN on Sat. Dec 3rd. returning a week later. Most of the Roatan dive resorts work Sat->Sat so your best option if you plan to stay at one. Decent flights - no long layovers - you'll be on Roatan after 1PM. Later flight back 2:30P departure - midnight arrival. But it will give you some time to look around that morning also - nothing is too far from the airport since the island is long but thin.

You can do about $100 better but then the flights become 20 hrs. with layover.
Check other days here: Matrix - ITA Software by Google

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I live in the Ottawa area and fly to Roatan 2-3 times per year. Air Transat and Sunwing are the way to go with direct flights out of Montreal and Toronto that depart and return on Monday. Return fares range from CDN$600 to CDN$1000 depending on the time of year. It is much cheaper if you can avoid Christmas and March Break. I have also flown Delta via Atlanta and found it to be huge hassle having to clear customs twice. Take my advice and go direct!

Back
Top Bottom