Cheapest country to buy diving equipment in South/Central America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Specifically, Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica and Ecuador.

If you had to buy diving equipment, or more to the point: small diving equipment, like a wetsuit, a mask, snorkel, fins, booties - where would you buy it?

Which country has the cheapest prices?

Wow...just read most of the blog on that link...fun read. Actually, the Free Trade Zone is just before you get into the city of Colon and is surrounded by a very high wall and you have to be admitted by a guard. Very different from Colon proper which the motorcycle guy describes well. And you would probably be better served seeking out dive shops in Panama City rather than going to the FTZ. Merchandise from there seeps out and into the local market, though it's not supposed to.

And to tie this in to the original thread...everytime he complained about the price of parts in South America (and specifically Ecuador), I thought of a plea I once made on Scubaboard about folks in the US bringing Scuba gear down to Galapagos. The prices are outrageous on what little selection there is. Took me several months a year or two ago to even find new booties in my size. You could find large men's or small children's...period. And when I did find them, they were inexpensive Tilos that I paid $72 for here. So most of South America is not recommended for purchasing scuba gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom