Check on luggage - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlt3b

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Sorry to add another luggage question but was hoping to get some ideas and save hours of searching. I travel for work and sometimes get to go from work destinations straight to dive destinations, but therefore need to figure out a way to travel with some work clothes (sports jacket, slacks, shoes, ties) and some camera gear AND my dive gear. Given the weight restrictions per person on some of the smaller planes/airlines, i'm looking for options for strong but fairly lightweight check-in luggage. I bring most of my camera gear, my dive computer, and my prescription dive mask in my carry-on luggage (don't check them in), but need a good lightweight check-in bag to fit all the rest of my gear. Any specific model / make suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We've had good experiences with the ultralight Samsonite hardshell models, such as the Cosmolite.

The lightest options will be the heavy duty duffles. Anything else will add weight, including wheels. But that means carrying everything or finding a handcart. I use a hard bottom duffle bag (60 dollars) with wheels from Costco for checked and a backpack plus soft sided duffle (25 dollars) for carry on.

Eric uses this as his carry on plus a "personal item." No problems so far...

Amazon.com: Kelty Redwing 50-Liter Backpack

I did just this using a Boreas pack, all of which are very lightweight but sturdy

they're excellent, although with my particular model you have to be an organised packer as the pack just has one main compartment, there are very few pockets etc due to the minimal design

Buttermilks (Farallon Black) | Boreas Gear

---------- Post added September 13th, 2015 at 12:26 AM ----------

that's an advantage for this sort of thing btw, just buy some packing cubes so you keep your clothes and stuff separated while taking minimal space

We decided on the Samsonite Inova 28 spinner. Just small enough to avoid all oversize luggage charges and still big enough for two sets of dive gear. Search around a bit and you can find one around the $200 range.

Oh yeah the bag I linked to will only work with the 40L model. it juuuuust sneaks into most airlines' restrictions and is ever so slightly too big for others (not that that's ever stopped me).

It's also the most comfortable hike pack you'll ever wear, the foam back is amazing.

Thanks everyone, for your input thus far!

Driftwood - when you've packed the Samsonite Inova 28 spinner with 2 sets of dive gear, is it a total "squish job"? Or do you think I could manage to get some business clothes (jacket, slacks, etc) in there with 1 set of dive gear, without completely squishing the business clothing?

Itsacon - thanks for your input re: the Cosmolite. I'm looking into them - their lightness in weight is a HUGE plus, but i'm not sure I want to shell out $600 for a single piece of luggage. They have some on Ebay - maybe i'll explore that option further...

Phlegm and uncfnp - thanks for the info on your duffel strategies. But wouldn't business clothing get completely squished and wrinkled in a duffel?

Never packed business attire for a dive trip so no help there. I know there are some packing techniques that is suppose to help. Packing loosely and a hard sided case, and there are cheaper ones out there, may be best for that. I was posting on weight and space issues more than wrinkle. Can you not iron as needed? Or depending on where you stay, have it touched up by the hotel?

In all honesty, for the checked luggage, you are going to want wheels and that is what adds the most weight. After that, pick the style that suits your needs. I don't think there would be more than a few pounds difference either way.

Oh yeah your stuff would get completely wrinkled fair enough

life I said though packing cubes make your life much easier, so if you can fold your jacket into one without it creasing (unlikely with most fabrics) you might get away with it. Probably not what you're looking for though

Back
Top Bottom