Check out dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me what a check-out dive entails? My daughter and I are headed to Bonaire staying at the Divi Flamingo and I understand a check-out dive is mandatory. This is my daughter's first dive after certification and she is a bit nervouse. Any details will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DD and Paula

After completing my OW c-card, I didn't dive for approximately six months. When I finally went diving (in the Gulf of Thailand, not Bonaire), the dive op wanted me to do a Scuba Tune-Up. I told the DM I was pretty confident in my skills and didn't want to do an official Tune-Up/Refresher course. We agreed that we would go to a beginner dive site, she would run me through a number of skills and then we could go exploring (if I could do the skills).

We went the dive site. The DM reviewed the buddy checks with me. We got in the water and descended to 12m or so. On the sandy bottom, we basically ran through some of the skills from my OW class. Hand signals, fin pivot, recover and clear 2nd stage, partial and full mask flood and clear, using AAS and buddy breathing. I took 5-10 minutes, I got an OK sign, and off we went.

Have a great time in Bonaire!

You'll get a little orientation speech about diving in Bonaire - everything underwater is a Marine Park, so no touching, no gloves, etc. You'll get a little plastic tag to attach to your rig to show that you paid the annual park fee - a great souvenir. You'll also get a little chat about Bonaire, the resort and their dive operation. There's some paperwork (the usual releases) and then it's time to hit the water.

The actual dive is a shore dive done in at least semi-supervised conditions to allow you to make certain that all of your gear is in working order, to allow you to make adjustments to weighting, harnesses, and other gear, and to get acquainted with salt-water. It's a terrific opportunity to work some of the giggles out (WE'RE IN BONAIRE!!!) as well as some of the travel kinks while you're still in shallow water and before you strike out on your own or climb on a boat with a bunch of other divers. It also gives the operator a chance to evaluate your skills a little bit and to provide some coaching, if needed.

It's not a test - you won't fail. It's an opportunity to make certain that your gear, your skills and your head are ready for diving. If you want a DM to assist, by all means ask. That's what they are there for. Relax, have fun. There is no place better on earth for new divers than Bonaire and you're going to love it.

Steven

Sillygrendel and I will be there from Dec 31st - Jan 10..

Scuba Barbie once bubbled...

We will be there Dec 14th - 21st. 11 days and counting.....
You'll have to let SG and I know how it was and what were your favorite restaurants and dive sites!

Have a great trip!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Thanks for the invite!

:eek:ut:
Are you going down there, I mean, "down under" there, mate? If so, join us! I can't wait to watch you wrestle the local aquatic life!

Seriously, you going?

Nope, just jealous. My girlfriend just started a new job so it will be months before she can get any time off to do a Costa Rica trip we're kicking around. Her folks live in Florida though so hopefully I can get some Keys diving in within the next 6 months or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom