Check out dives this weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my 0.02$ for the computer story: of course, the Petrel is a great computer. However, the extra $$$ you spend on it will pay you 2-3 weekends of diving.
A decent computer won't cost you much more than ~200$. However, <100$ solutions are usually carrying some compromise (e.g. not nitrox compatible, or not a
real computer just a watch).

What you'll most likely need in the first 2-3 years:
1. Air, with a moderately conservative algorithm (default for all computers)
2. Nitrox (all modern computers have it)
3. Back lighting for night/dark dives
4. Easily replaceable battery
5. Logbook (all modern comps have it)
6. Altitude adjustability
7. optionally: PC connection at reasonable cost

What you won't need:
Expensive wireless transmitters (they fail sometimes, rumors say faulty ones may upset the sharks :shark:)
Managing multiple gases
Trimix (Helium-containing gases)

My recommendations: Subgear XP10 (fulfils #1-7), Mares Puck (costs only 175$ at leisurepro) or Suunto Zoop (has a nice, night-time readable display).

I'll probably get flamed for this but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway. If money is a consideration (and it always is for me) I'd much rather see a new diver invest in a good regulator, BCD, wetsuit etc. before buying a computer. I say this because you don't necessarily need a computer to dive (you can always plan a square profile using the RDP and be safe), however when you have your own gear you tend to dive much more often and that's the really important thing... a computer doesn't make you a better diver... diving makes you a better diver

I'll probably get flamed for this but I'll throw my $0.02 in anyway. If money is a consideration (and it always is for me) I'd much rather see a new diver invest in a good regulator, BCD, wetsuit etc. before buying a computer. I say this because you don't necessarily need a computer to dive (you can always plan a square profile using the RDP and be safe), however when you have your own gear you tend to dive much more often and that's the really important thing... a computer doesn't make you a better diver... diving makes you a better diver

This is true. I only plan to dive square profiles for a while... and shallow ones at that.

However, my line of thinking is that a dive computer is much easier to transport on a plane when I'm on vacation... and at least initially, it seems like it might end up being a little easier (and not that expensive) to rent equipment.

For example, we're going to the Dominican Republic in December and the cost to rent gear there is only about $5 per dive.

Also, I might decide on a different BCD than the weight integrated jacket style that I'm used to from class... I figure that renting gear will allow me to try out different styles before I spent a lot of $$$ on something that I'm not in love with.

This is true. I only plan to dive square profiles for a while... and shallow ones at that.

However, my line of thinking is that a dive computer is much easier to transport on a plane when I'm on vacation... and at least initially, it seems like it might end up being a little easier (and not that expensive) to rent equipment.

For example, we're going to the Dominican Republic in December and the cost to rent gear there is only about $5 per dive.

Also, I might decide on a different BCD than the weight integrated jacket style that I'm used to from class... I figure that renting gear will allow me to try out different styles before I spent a lot of $$$ on something that I'm not in love with.

All true and reasonable especially if you don't have a place where you can dive locally and dive often. The Dominican Republic soounds wonderful (most gear rents for $40-$50/day that i've seen) If you can get a full set for $5 a dive I say go for it. And you are correct about buying something you are in love with... with regs and BCDs that's especially important. I still think though that if I had to choose between getting a reg and getting a computer I'd buy a reg just because I have no idea how a rental has been treated/serviced... but you are right you do need to try a few to mak sure you get one that's right for you

I agree with SteveBF. Get a good BCD ESPECIALLY if you're going to be diving (with rental gear) in the Carribean countries. Other than Sandals and Club Med, alot of the dive shops over there have equipment which may be functional, but in pretty ragged condition. Personally, I ALWAYS bring my own dive gear. You'll be more comfortable and relaxed, knowing your gear is in good working condition. You may want to consider renting in the US, before you leave. Most shops will offer you a good rental deal, especially at that time of the year. As far as dive computors are concerned, I dive with a high-end Atomic Aquatics DC and a Suunto Gekko wrist computer as back-up. I like to keep an eye on both, just to 'compare' when I'm doing my safety stop. Congrats on your recent certification. I did my AOW in Cozumel, right after completing my OW. Spent the whole week diving (alone) with the same instructor and gained a lot of experience.... Go for it !

Caution! If rental gear is only $5, what do you think it is worth? ( Less than $5??? ). Do you really think that you will learn anything by renting cheap gear?

I do believe that you will understand that good quality SCUBA gear is vital after using poor gear!

Last time I checked DR is a 3rd world country. BTW, I Love 3rd world countries!

Caution! If rental gear is only $5, what do you think it is worth? ( Less than $5??? ). Do you really think that you will learn anything by renting cheap gear?

I do believe that you will understand that good quality SCUBA gear is vital after using poor gear!

Last time I checked DR is a 3rd world country. BTW, I Love 3rd world countries!

Come on Beav, lets be serious. It costs $15 to rent a regulator at your shop, is it worth less than $15?

The DR may be third world but they do have first class resorts with dive operations.

Come on Beav, lets be serious. It costs $15 to rent a regulator at your shop, is it worth less than $15?
Our clients will be diving "new" MK25/S600, MK25Titanium/S600Titanium & MK25 Gold/ S600 Gold regs this weekend. I don't think you will get even remotely close to this quality in DR.

The real problem happens when a "new" diver has a " Bad " experience w/ rental gear. They may never want to go diving again! I really hate loosing divers.

Our clients will be diving "new" MK25/S600, MK25Titanium/S600Titanium & MK25 Gold/ S600 Gold regs this weekend. I don't think you will get even remotely close to this quality in DR.

The real problem happens when a "new" diver has a " Bad " experience w/ rental gear. They may never want to go diving again! I really hate loosing divers.

The LDS were I live get new rental equipment every year and sells off the old at the end of each summer. I don't know what they do in the DR though.

Back
Top Bottom