Check Out The Shark Feeding Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to a meeting at Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island next month, so I stared checking out dive ops there as I will have a bit of free time.

I come across Xanadu Undersea Adventures, an op that offers shark feeding dives. Check out these pictures about halfway down the page, especially the third row of pictures. Wow.

Anyone ever been on one of these dives? Are they really as hairy as the photos show?

Marc

I've been on a number of them in various locations. They are a walk in the park if you follow the simple instructions like sit still & keep your hands against your body.

Expect to see small to modest size females, not males or whoppers. You will get a good look at their eyes, teeth & skin.

Do enjoy.

DocVikingo

Wow is right.

I can't figure out how the shark got free. Did the inflator hose rip off his BC?

" ... follow the simple instructions like sit still & keep your hands against your body ... " Like they're doing in row 8 picture 2? :eyebrow:

Marc, I totally agree with DocVikingo. I did it in Nassau with Stuart Coves and it was a cake walk. The sharks know that when a boat parks in the area they're going to be fed, so they try and greet the food before it gets in the water. The first dive was a swimm with the sharks experience and the second dive was the feeding dive. About the only thing that was a bit of a hair raising experience was the thought of jumping in the water with 50 dorsal fins swimming around, but after the DM jumped in with the box of chum (on the second dive), the sharks all followed him and it was no different than any giant stride. Do follow the DM instructions, which are usually to jump in with a deflated BC and get to the bottom ASAP, kneel and tuck your hands under your arms. The photo that yak points out is the easiest way to get your hand stuck in a shark's mouth.

Piece of cake if you follow directions. Fun way to see the sharks close up.

Did you notice the staff pics were all head shots...

Wonder what's missing underneath... :eyebrow:

No way in hell you are getting me in any water that's been chummed.

I'm a product of the Jaws generation. I would love to see a shark in the wild, far off, and watch it skitter away. That's too close, and I have no interest in being there. Even though in my head I know it's (relatively) safe, I just can't convince my heart to keep beating even just looking at them pics.

I'll do a cage dive though, if I ever get the chance. Logic has no bearing on irrational fears.

Did a shark feeding dive on Blackbeard's and it was an AWESOME experience. Like Doc says, if you do what the DM's tell you to do, you have nothing to worry about.
I came up with the same number of body parts as I went down with.

SueMermaid:
I came up with the same number of body parts as I went down with.
...but not necessarily in the same order. =8^)

(adapted from the Eric Morecambe joke)

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom