Cheep Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevsgarage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused:
I have been diving for some time, faithfully using my Planner charts but I was recently looking at some e-junk mail from discount divers and they had a Tusa IQ 400 on sale for $176. Looks pretty good and comes in either wrist mount or consul. Just kicking around the Idea of breaking down and buying a computer but don't want a cheep price to prevent me from getting what I really need or want. Thought it would be fun to download profiles to compare, and that kinda stuff.

I quess what I really want to know if computers have gotten that cheep or is this just some junk that will end up in the bottom of my gear bag. What computers and prices do you all recomend to a diver on a working class budget.

The IQ-400 is actually a Suunto Favor computer -- a very good, reliable, somewhat conservative, air only, basic computer. My wife and I both use them and it's a great fool-proof computer. $176 is high, Leisure Pro used to sell them for $150.

Note you can't download dives, set alarms, change the battery (at least not easily), or set it for nitox mixes.

Ralph

You can get an Oceanic DataPlus from LeisurePro for around $225 or so, depending on whether you want it for your wrist or in a console. DataPlus 2 is a few $ more. Both are high quality, reliable and nitrox compatible. Moxie

I went back to http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-cat.asp?cat=Computers
and the computer was a Tusa although I wouldn't be suprised if it is the same as your Suunto Favor computer. they sometimes market the same items under different names, a common marketing statagy.Although the pric was $10 less than I said you were correct that it wasn't down loadable.

You said you were happy with yours though it would be interesting to here from others who have used it or one simular.

the computer was a Tusa although I wouldn't be suprised if it is the same as your Suunto Favor computer. they sometimes market the same items under different names, a common marketing statagy.

I've already told you it is the same computer. And we don't have the Favor, we have the IQ-400. Not that it makes the slightest difference except in cost, only the color of the case changes.

Ralph

Originally posted by stevsgarage
a common marketing statagy.Although the pric was $10 less

I am not sure if it's marketting strategy but from my understanding, TUSA does not produce computers, in order to have a complete range of dive equipment to offer, they got Suunto to produce for them.

Anyway, you would not go wrong getting a Suunto computer. However, if you can up your budget a little, get the Suunto Solution Alpha. It has a built in alarm and trust me, it's helpful.

Cheers.

After all my research into cheep computers, I decided on a little more exspensive unit with a few bells and whistles. After all its only my Life. I found what I think is a good deal on the new Mares M1. I have found a couple of complaints allready though, I'll post my review after I try it out in Purto Vallarta next month.

You may want to consider the Sporasub Zenix/Mares Tutor. I started with the IQ-400 and it is a good computer (my girlfriend still has it); however, I did experience some problems. First, it seems like the rapid accent warning went off alot. I don't know if it was just me, but I surfaced once with the warning going off (I think I raised my arm too quick) and it locked me out for 48 hours.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post, the IQ-400 does not have user changeable batties nor does it have an audible alarm. (Some people find these annoying anyway)

The Zenix/Tutor is a comparable computer which uses one AAA battery that can be replaced with a penny. Although the battery life is short, this is pretty convienent. It can log 20 dives (the IQ-400 only does 9) and with the PC interface unit (about $70 online) you can download your log onto a Windows based PC. It is a very full featured computer including audible alarms; however, it cannot be changed to account for Nitrox. The best feature is that you can get one for about $150 online from Sportextreme.com or scubastore.com.=-)

There's a couple complaints about it because Mares makes terrible computers. I don't know much about the M1, and actually looked into it myself until I did some research on their previous computers. I wouldn't trust my life with it... They should stick to stuff they're good at, like fins and wetsuits...

Just my opinion - based on opinions and research, not personal use.

For about the same money, you can get a reliable Suunto computer that seems to get nothing but excellent reviews. The Mosquito is basically the same as the Stinger and Vyper, but only costs about $280 from
http://www.diveinn.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom