Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont want to go too crazy with the GPS stuff. I was just looking for a quick GPS tag when I start a dive but I can do that with the compass app on my phone. But also I am very familiar of what wireless will work underwater and what wont.
To my knowledge, no DC under ~$800 has GPS to tag entry and exit.

Also, it is probably vaporware. Although it is theoretically very doable, they have been promising a product would be on the market first in 2016, and last in 2022, but it still isn't available. I've been thinking about making a prototype based on the same principles myself as a hobby(my professional experience lends to this).
I also noticed that. Yeah as a former USAF navigator and software engineer, GPS/inertial/dead reckoning/celestial navigation are all in very deeply ingrained into me lol

I also noticed the projected cost. No way that would be useful for consumer products. I see absolute benefits for SAR and some other more industrial/scientific diving though. I sort of love the idea though of Joe Diver showing up to a dive boat with the required equipment and hoping the dive boat is cool with it lol.

Edit: Got to see Long Beach Lifeguard's shark navigator (with the floating GPS) during my LA county training, super cool!

Garmin Descent G1 is under that.

But, I see someone beat me to it.
The G1's lack AI right? Thats just the Descent Mk series?
Partially correct.

The G1 and G1 Solar don’t have AI. The MK1, MK2, and MK2s don’t have AI either.

Only the MK2i has AI.

All the Garmins have GPS.

I bought the Vyper Novo with AI and now looking to upgrade to the Perdix. Please don't waste your money. As said before a separate compass will be much handier than trying to use your computer as a compass. Yes several have the option but you loose access to valuable information in the compass mode. The Vyper Novo has the compass and I have never used it, ever, not even to calibrate, which by the way is a PITA with the Vyper Novo. And, you need to calibrate anytime you change locations in the world. I highly suggest the Peregrin if AI is not your thing, but if you ever would want it, then get the Perdix and add the AI transmitter later. You will learn that the AI transmitter allows you to see gas level at the same time you see depth and time, all the information in one place, no more reaching for the SPG to see how much gas you have. I know it was mentioned before, but AI will give you your consumption rate throughout your dive which is great to understand because you can relate certain high usage times with what occured underwater. For instance, everytime I try to chase something I see my consumption rate rise. I have since learned not to chase anything, they come back anyway. Good luck, big decision, buy once, cry once, but the Perdix will not let you down.

It looks like its listed now on the app for support:

Unfortunately that is the original Excursion, before the firmware upgrade.

I think the Atmos Mission One does this. I've had too many problems to recommend them though.

I'm not sure about the Mission 2, but given my experience with the M1 I don't see that I'll be buying any.

Back
Top Bottom