Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not get the Shearwater Peregrine? It will be with you if you do tec or rec? If you sell it you will get 75-80% of your money back if you don't trash it. It should cost about $500 or so new and if you go with a Perdix AI later it will still make an incredible back up computer

Support should be coming.

Does the Decent's GPS, function while diving? Never heard of people using them that way.
Anyone who claims that any GPS works during a dive is lying. The GPS signal can not penetrate more than a few inches of sea water.

Notice, they do not claim to receive the GPS signal under water. They use ultrasonics to determine your position relative to buoys which have GPS receivers on them. The make the same statement I do on their front page: the GPS signal can not be received under water.

Notice, they do not claim to receive the GPS signal under water. They use ultrasonics to determine your position relative to buoys which have GPS receivers on them. The make the same statement I do on their front page: the GPS signal can not be received under water.
Oh fully agree, just thought it was cool.

Anyone who claims that any GPS works during a dive is lying. The GPS signal can not penetrate more than a few inches of sea water.
I dont want to go too crazy with the GPS stuff. I was just looking for a quick GPS tag when I start a dive but I can do that with the compass app on my phone. But also I am very familiar of what wireless will work underwater and what wont.

Oh fully agree, just thought it was cool.
Also, it is probably vaporware. Although it is theoretically very doable, they have been promising a product would be on the market first in 2016, and last in 2022, but it still isn't available. I've been thinking about making a prototype based on the same principles myself as a hobby(my professional experience lends to this).

EDIT:
Oops, just found a reference to a product being available in 2009. So 14 years of vaporware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom