Chicago-Lake Michigan Wrecks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS Wisconsin, St. Mary and The Straits of Mackinac are all good wrecks. You could do SS Wisconsin in the morning and St. Mary in the afternoon, but I think it would be difficult to fit SS Wisconsin and The Straits of Mackinac into the same day. They are just too far apart.

SS Wisconsin, St. Mary and The Straits of Mackinac are all good wrecks. You could do SS Wisconsin in the morning and St. Mary in the afternoon, but I think it would be difficult to fit SS Wisconsin and The Straits of Mackinac into the same day. They are just too far apart.

Based on this information, I think it is probably going to end up the Wisconsin and St. Mary, don't you Mike?

Here's four shots of the St. Mary.

The Well's Burt is nice also. A better shipwreck than the St. Mary. I figured you were going out of the Waukegan/Wisconsin area so it was not a possibility, but if it is, do it.

I missed this posting the first time around. The Well's Burt may be a good historical dive.

Capt. Dale, is it possible for us to do the Wisconsin in the morning and follow up with the Well's Burt in the afternoon? Be advised, we have to head in at lunch-ish for tank exchanges and fills.

I missed this posting the first time around. The Well's Burt may be a good historical dive.

Capt. Dale, is it possible for us to do the Wisconsin in the morning and follow up with the Well's Burt in the afternoon? Be advised, we have to head in at lunch-ish for tank exchanges and fills.

Wells Burt is even further south than the Mac. It would be difficult to get both in on the same day considering a trip back to shore for fills. The Wisconsin and St. Mary's is always a good option. When we do tech dives, we'll do one long dive on the Wisconsin as there is a TON to see. Dale will give you a great trip to the Wisconsin and St. Mary.

Wells Burt is even further south than the Mac. It would be difficult to get both in on the same day considering a trip back to shore for fills. The Wisconsin and St. Mary's is always a good option. When we do tech dives, we'll do one long dive on the Wisconsin as there is a TON to see. Dale will give you a great trip to the Wisconsin and St. Mary.

Thanks ppo2.

We are doing a full day - but only 2 wrecks. The idea is some of the gang can do 2 dives and some can do one longer dive with deco on each wreck. I think that there was some concern that St. Mary's would be a one-dive wreck, but my reading tells me that there is maybe more to explore if you take your time. It can be worth a two-wreck dive.

Dale originally suggested the Wisconsin and another wreck, but that 2nd wreck is a little beyond my depth comfort. And, since I am the one making the reservations, I <gave myself> have veto power!

So when is all this happening? it'd be a shame to miss out considering waukegan harbor is mere minutes from the house! Of course if the boat is already full we would still be available for dinner and drinking and what not! If the boat isn't full then I'm in if we're not racing.

Last edited:
So when is all this happening? it'd be a shame to miss out considering waukegan harbor is mere minutes from the house! Of course if the boat is already full we would still be available for dinner and drinking and what not! If the boat isn't full then I'm in if we're not racing.

hahaha - I want to see your posting before you edited it for tact.

We only go to Wells Burt or The Straits of Mackinac on full day trips. The Straits is 24 nautical miles from Waukegan. That is about 3 hours. We break it up by making dives at St Mary or Lady Elgin, which are at about the half way point. SS Wisconsin is 11 miles from Waukegan in the opposite direction (north).

As it turns out my God-Daughter is getting married that day. So I will be looking to do some diving over either in Lake Huron or northwest Ohio the week leading up to the 23rd or the day after the wedding. Looking at the charter boats that I know of right there I may have to jump on one of those but am un-familiar with the local wrecks. What gets me going is wooden ships with history...... Depending upon who I can find to dive with I may end up quarry diving that week.

Back
Top Bottom