Chics dig scars.....Or don't they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok.... this one was no fun....

I was using one of those small circular saws that runs on battery packs like what you use in cordless drills. The blade apparantly hits a nail in the board that is being cut which causes the blade/saw to "jump" which lands on my finger about 6 inches away.

Luckily the battery was not fully charged as the saw blade "entered my finger". About half way through the bone it stopped. From my perspective, it didn't "look that bad" and appeared to be only in the meaty flesh of the finger. Little did I know that the saw blade had gone half way though the finger and half way through the bone until I got to the hospital and they cleaned it up where I could see the "complete cut" and the X-Ray with a sawblade width of bone missing half way through the finger.

Well they sewed me up and told me to expect loss of use somewhat of that part of the end of my finger based on that I had most likely cut a nerve and that they would decide after the would had healed how the best way to deal with the nerve damage. Well, never had surgery and can use my finger for about 95% usefullness w/o surgery.

Here's the (sorta) funny things...

1.) When I lifted the saw off the finger, the blade started back up. Apparantly the cut into the bone was enough to stop the blade.

2.) When I got to the hospital, the nurse in the ER admission desk didn't seem to care that I had "cut my finger" and was going to make me wait in line behind all the other "non emergency" cases.... As I stood there and let blood drip off my finger and onto her desk into a puddle, she changed her mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom