Chics dig scars.....Or don't they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whalerkyle

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, I'm just completely bored out of my mind at work today, and reading about Ken's mishap has inspired me to share some personal misfortune.

Heres a little short story about my bad luck over the past 28 years.

10 years old, living in the Sierra Mountains with my family. I loved to watch the local Lumberjacks cut down the huge trees and feel them crash to the ground. One day I was standing too close and the Lumberjack lost hold of his chainsaw and it somehow kicked back out of his hands and landed squarely on my shin. Complete loss of the left foot. I woke up in the hospital in Fresno County with my entire left leg in a cast, and foot sewed back on. Now it's 3 sizes smaller then the right foot.

Age 13, same mountain area, me and a buddy found some old miner shed with a few rusty tools left in it. I just happen to put my foot up on a stump when at the same time my friend slammed down an old rusty hatchet he had found. Now my 3 middle toes on my LEFT FOOT were chopped off. We didn't wear shoes. I was actually able to hobble to the main road and call for help. The toes were sewn back on, and leeches were used to pull the blood to the tips of the toes. They still work today, but kinda twisted and ugly.

Age 17 living in Orange County, and riding dirt bikes each day. I was cleaning the chain by holding a rag around the chain, while the bike was in gear, with the engine running. POP, there goes the LEFT middle finger, just below the outer knuckle. Finger was never to be seen again.

Age 18, Motocross race in San Jacinto California. 90 foot double jump, landing short, smashing my face into my handlebars crushing my eyesockets, cheekbones, nosebridge, and jaw. 18 Titanium plates later I'm good as new.

Age 20, got a boat, took up SCUBA/Spearfishing/Rod and Reel fishing, and never had an accident since.

Anyone else have any stories?

Kyle-Can you tell I'm bored?

whalerkyle:
Ok, I'm just completely bored out of my mind at work today, and reading about Ken's mishap has inspired me to share some personal misfortune.

Wif stories like that, you are quite on your own, my friend.

Titanium face? Nice. What up, T2?

:10:

We're not worthy, we're not worthy.

K

whalerkyle:
Age 20, got a boat, took up SCUBA/Spearfishing/Rod and Reel fishing, and never had an accident since.

Anyone else have any stories?

Kyle-Can you tell I'm bored?

OMG! That spearfishing doesn't sound like a good idea with your kind of luck. Always seem to be losing body parts. Maybe you've had such bad luck as a child that nothing else bad will happen.

I've been lucky. No broken bones or hospitalizations. When I was about 7 or 8 i almost cut my right big toe off. Me and another kid were outside breaking old glass coke bottles in the street of our neighborhood under this street light. It was about 9pm and our parents where inside having a dinner party or something. One of the bottles didn't break so I ran out to get it and stepped on a big hunk of glass. All I remember is getting shots inside that deep cut. I don't want to even think about who had to clean all that glass up. I'll have to ask my parents about that one...

Mel

Bones are made of rubber:

I have fallen out of quite a few trees, off reasonably high walls and cliffs on the coast, and been hit by many things swinging at various parts of my body. I have a bunch scars and at the various times tons of bruises too, but never a broken bone nor twisted any joint. Do chicks dig guys who do stupid things as kids and live through them without many scratches?? :wink:

BTW, Whalekyle, you should really try bungeejumping, basejumping and streetluge, they all seem right up your street! Stay away from the pointy end of the speargun too. :wink:

Those are just flesh wounds. Call us back when you get really hurt.

5 - Right index finger vs. car door. Door wins, finger reattached.
7 - Crushed by large truck. Long list of repairs, missing several organs including the spleen, chunks of intestine, and etc.
13 - Knife through hand, left index finger. Finger reattached.
15 - Doberman. Lots of scarring, but I did win this one.
23 - Lost front wheel of my road bike at about 35mph. Crawl out of road. Lost left eye, left shoulder rebuilt, right knee rebuilt, other parts are just wounded. 9 eye surgeries alone.
33 - Repair of sinuses screwed up by accident #7. Very yucky.

Lots more broken bones, but they didn't require surgery, so not listed. I haven't actually injured myself to the point of losing consciousness since I was 23. I think I managed to pound some common sense into my brain.

That being said, the motocross jump story is a good one.

Peter

Chicks dig scars. At least some do.

I could go forever with all the little ones I got... but the highlights [be it cool, size, stupidity, or memory]:

• right lower lip scar from a growth that was removed [and non cancerous] in 3rd grade.
  • right index finger knuckle: "Mommy!! Snake won't let go!" "Let go of the snake!" "No! He's mine!"
  • left thumb: "Mommy!! I decided I didn't want the squirrel and I DID let go of it! But he won't let go of me!"
  • 1" long on right hand, between first and second metacarpal. Matching one on palm has since faded: The wonders of boyscouts and being stuck to a chair by my brothers friend with his buck-knife.
  • 1/2 inch to the left: A stupid scratch from girlfriends canoe that never healed right the first time we went diving out of the super canoe.
  • left index finger just above second knuckle: First new years party in my very own apartment. dumb friends need to learn not to put knives in the dishwasher pointing up.

And the big boys:

• Right shoulder, 4 inches: Blankhart Procedure on my shoulder. 16 dislocations total, with the initial skiing at Killington. Fell back, bounced off the mogul and back up, kept going for a few more turns before I started to feel like I was gonna pass out.
  • Left knee. 4 holes and a 1" incison: ACL reconstruction after blowing my ACL my MCL and doing some damage to my LCL a couple years ago when my knee decided to explode in the Giant Slalom at the Eastern Masters Championships at Sugarbush in '02.

And the scar that will be:
  • The 5 incher on the back of my left leg, from heel to just above the point where the tattoo in my avatar is: Ruptured Achilles Tendon surgery Aug 31st, '04

whalerkyle:
Now I'm not so bored! Thanks for the good reads. Lets see some pics now!
most of 'em are faded enough that they won't look good on film. But I'll try to remember to take my camera when I get my cast changed out in a few weeks. Just 'cause I'm a sick puppy and figure you are too :wink:

shins from rock climbing (well, falling actually)

inside knees from hangup on barbed wire

hands from burns

nose from break

stomach from saw

thigh from flaming fragment of 4th of July fireworks

a couple from bullet fragmentation (shooting steel plates)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom