Chikungunya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Permethrin is pretty nasty stuff. A broad spectrum neurotoxin, permethrin is deadly to fish and is not very biodegradable.

When we were in Cozumel last August, the resort was actively spraying. I am a mosquito magnet so I religiously apply DEET. Insect born diseases like malaria, dengue, and chikungunya are serious health risks.

Stay safe.

I got hit with dengue in 09 , as others have stated it just takes one . I had only three known bites in the week and one got me .
It can take you out for weeks , mine lasted three solid months of breakbone fever and the headache from hell which never ceased .
I went from 2-3 dive trips per year to none due to my fear of another hit
I do visit infected areas again but I am very glued to the spray.
Bad news ... we now have the adidus egypti ( or however it is spelled ) mosquito's in our far northern regions , so in a few years these mosquito borne illness's will know no boundarys
The mosquito is a very deadly adversary , good for nothing little vampires that can really ruin your day

I am allergic to DEET products but I have had good luck using these DEET-free, child-safe BugBand towelettes

I know how it is a very popular thing to use “natural” products these days, as opposed to “chemical” based products. However, I could never really understand how one differentiates between the two: strychnine, cyanide, and ricin are all naturally occurring substances (not manmade), while water, salt, and sugar are chemical substances. I guess it all has to do with marketing.

The active ingredient in BugBand products is Geraniol, a volatile oil (and a listed human allergen) found in citronella, geraniums and a few other plants. The CDC lists ALL the products (over 600, most containing DEET) on its website that it considers to be effective mosquito repellents and it DOES NOT include either BugBand or any other products containing Geraniol in that list.

In the medical journal Malaria Journal, the article “Plant-based insect repellents: a review of their efficacy, development and testing,” states: “However, for the time-being travelers to disease endemic areas should not be recommended citronella-based repellents

As far as using DEET as opposed to "natural" products, the article goes on to say: “It is commonly assumed that plant-based repellents are safer than DEET because they are natural. However, some natural repellents are safer than others, and it cannot be assumed that natural equates to safe. DEET has undergone stringent testing and has a good safety profile. An estimated 15 million people in the U.K., 78 million people in the U.S.A., and 200 million people globally use DEET each year. Provided that DEET is used safely, i.e. it is applied to the skin at the correct dose (such as that in a commercial preparation) and it is not swallowed or rubbed into the mucous membranes then it does not cause adverse effects. DEET has been used since 1946 with a tiny number of reported adverse effects, many of which had a history of excessive or inappropriate use of repellent. Its toxicology has been more closely scrutinized than any other repellent, and it has been deemed safe for human use, including use on children, pregnant women, and lactating women. In contrast, plant-based repellents do not have this rigorously tested safety record, with most being deemed safe because they have simply been used for a long time.”

I still say repellents containing DEET are the only real option.

I know how it is a very popular thing to use “natural” products these days, as opposed to “chemical” based products...I still say repellents containing DEET are the only real option.

That's fine for you, but I cannot tolerate DEET. I break out with a severe rash when I use products that contain DEET. Did you bother to read what I said before jumping on your soapbox?

I am allergic to DEET, it has nothing to do with what's "popular" or "natural". I have been forced to look for other options and BugBand has been the best product I've found so far. I don't have any reaction to BB and it helps to keep the mosquitos away. I shared that information here in case there are others with a similar issue. I am sure that it is not as effective as DEET, but it has helped me.

Of course you should follow public health recommendations to use DEET when that option is open to you - but when it won't work for you then you are forced to look for alternatives. BugBand is the best alternative product I've found so far but I would be interested to hear about other effective non-DEET options.

A minor tangent pertinent to the overall discussion:

Since Mexico approved a vaccine for Dengue, and many divers travel there, what are people's thoughts on getting vaccinated for it while there? Is it a one shot deal, or more shots spaced apart? How easy is it to 'drop in' at some clinic & get vaccinated for this?

Richard.

Since Mexico approved a vaccine for Dengue, and many divers travel there, what are people's thoughts on getting vaccinated for it while there? Is it a one shot deal, or more shots spaced apart? How easy is it to 'drop in' at some clinic & get vaccinated for this?

Richard.

I was JUST approved, so I would assume it would take a while to actually show up. I might wait a bit to see how mass vaccination go. If they gets some herd immunity going, that alone should make a world of difference. I wonder how long it is from bite to the ability to infect a new mossie? Question being is a tourist there long enough to both get it and spread it?

Richard.

From one of the original news blurbs earlier this month it appears the roll out in Mexico will be targeted by age and region, I have not heard of an actual availability date:
"Sanofi Pasteur, the group's vaccines division, said Mexico had approved the preventive treatment, called Dengvaxia, for all four dengue virus serotypes, but only for patients aged 9 to 45 who live in areas where the disease is endemic."

Question being is a tourist there long enough to both get it and spread it?

That is exactly how it got here. It began spreading from cruise ship port to cruise ship port in the Caribbean a couple of years ago. I don't know whether the crew or the passengers are the vectors. I imagine the cruise lines will never reveal any data about cases aboard their ships. It usually only takes 2 to 4 days for the symptoms to show up, and only one bite for a mosquito to pick it up from an infected person.

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2015 at 09:26 AM ----------

I would be interested to hear about other effective non-DEET options.

The CDC suggests the following three alternatives to DEET, although they stress DEET is the one they recommend. Apparently, most skin reactions to DEET tend to occur when products containing concentrations of 50% or higher are used. Have you tried a different product brand with a lower concentration of DEET?

Picaridin (KBR 3023 [Bayrepel] and icaridin outside the United States; chemical name: 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 1-methylpropyl ester). Products containing picaridin include, but are not limited to, Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, and Autan (outside the United States).

Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD (chemical name: para-menthane-3,8-diol), the synthesized version of OLE. Products containing OLE and PMD include, but are not limited to, Repel and Off! Botanicals. This recommendation refers to EPA-registered repellent products containing the active ingredient OLE (or PMD). “Pure” oil of lemon eucalyptus (essential oil not formulated as a repellent) is not recommended; it has not undergone similar, validated testing for safety and efficacy, is not registered with EPA as an insect repellent, and is not covered by this recommendation.

IR3535 (chemical name: 3-[N-butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid, ethyl ester). Products containing IR3535 include, but are not limited to, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition and SkinSmart.

As a retired, organic chemistry professor, I love your response to this thread. Too many people have no idea what a "chemical" is. The term has become a red flag for something "bad" or "dangerous," when in fact everything under the sun is a chemical or mixture of chemicals - some toxic, others not. The other word than too many people misuse is "natural." Somehow "natural" is construed as "good" or "safe," when in fact most substances in nature are highly toxic.

Repellents containing DEET are the only effective options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom