China from Horseshoe Cove, NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcampo84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went artifact hunting this past Labor Day and found a few interesting pieces. One is a piece of china, possibly a dinner or salad plate with a manufacturer's stamp on the back reading "Genuine Ironstone China" on the outer ring, and "Hope & Carter Burslem" on the inner ring. There is another insignia on the front of the plate, but I cannot make it out due to what I can only assume is coral growth. (If anyone has any tips on how to remove the growth without damaging the plate, please let me know.)

My next interesting find is what appears to be a wine or rum bottle, but it has a convex bottom, preventing it from standing freely. The neck is slightly broken, but clearly was sealed with a cork at one time.

Finally I found what looks like a vinegar bottle with a metal (possibly tin) screw-top.

If anyone has information on what the bottles might be or how to identify the plate (year produced, etc.), please let me know. I'm still new to identifying artifacts, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 87
the plate can be anything.try a internet search on the name on the bottom of the plate..the bottle in the 4th image is a torpedo bottle..very cool find.bottle can be from around 1860-1900.too bad it is broken.most likely had a "blob" top on it.

Correction on the brown bottle in the photos - the cap is not metal at all, but brown plastic (possibly resin or pvc). Not sure how well this will help to date the bottle.

An update on the plate fragment: I cleared away some of the coral growth to reveal the markings on the face of the plate - it was made for The National Steam Ship Company (possibly corporation, all that's left of the marking is the 'C'). If anyone has information on this company please let me know. I'd like to date this piece.

GOOGLE 'd "national steamship company"..was formed around 1860 to serve a route from Liverpoole to the US south..then we had a little war caused by northern aggression here in the states-Civil War- and the route was changed to go to New York.That can explain the bottle form that period of time..Good find..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom