Chincoteague Island, VA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OC Diver Ted Green 443-783-5157

I spoke with Captain Green earlier in the year. I believe he set his schedule for the year around January. If there are days open we could schedule for ourselves as an option. Give him a call talk with him and let me know what you think. Im sure we can come up with a group.

I have been trying to go out with a friend off Chincoteague but nothing has panned out yet.

Holy catfish batman!!

Ted green {o.c. diver} does do va runs to the better wrecks offshore in good vis. I will second Rick's opinion of Ted's operation, as being well run and the absolute caddilac of dive boats available mid penninsula.
The Regina S. that runs out of chincoteauge is chartered by the "atlantic wreck divers" They like all clubs are seeking new members to help make the boat go as often as possible. I joined last year and dove one time. The vis was good, water was warm, and it was a flounderpalooosa on the bottom.
Both of theese venues are serious dive operations and have little time for "posers". If you are new and looking for experience than great, if you have attitude and are unsafe, you will be quietly asked not to come back.
A big fuss was made over my maiden dive with Regina S., I was apparently the first new member candidate of the last three that actually returned to the boat via the anchor line??? Go figure, I did and had a great time.
Eric

Cool, thanks man, I will look in to these guys. I see you have to dive with them once before they accept you. Does that have to be an ocean wreck dive, or can you hook up with someone at a local site?

Typically they want open water offshore ocean to make sure you have a solid foundation of the basics of ocean boat diving. i.e. descend and return anchor line, no unscheduled deco, no ooa, and safety oriented.
Eric

This reef is located 5.8 nautical miles SE of Assateague Beach. The site is a 1300 yd. by 1600 yd. parallelogram with the perimeter defined by loran lines.​
Lat./Lon. Grid in PDF format

40 Armored personnel carriers were scattered at this site as part of “Operation Reef-Ex ’98”. The Army National Guard, Fort Dix, NJ prepared and transported the military vehicles. The deployment was accomplished as a joint effort with U.S. Naval Weapons Station, Colt’s Neck, NJ, the U.S. Army 24th Transportation Battalion, Fort Eustis, VA, and the U.S. Coast Guard, Chincoteague, VA participating.​
sub2.jpg

Redbird Subway Cars

In November of 2003, 50 New York City MTA "Redbird" subway cars were added to the site.​

BlackfishBank_1_200.jpg

Stainless Steel Subway Cars

In June of 2008, 46 New York City MTA stainless steel subway cars were deployed. Additional subway cars (44) were deployed on 12/9/08.
See the Lat./Lon. Grid above for the coordinates of the subway cars and military vehicles.​
BlackfishBank_2_200.jpg

Stainless Steel Subway Cars

blackfish_cht_350.jpg

NOAA Chart 12210

The cars are in horrible condition as of last year. Turns out aluminum was a poor choice for salt water, go figure? The current and corrosion have reduced them to a pile of crap, in an area notorious for poor visibility, also true of the APC reef. This stuff is great for the fisherman but not so much divers. MHO, YMMV.
Eric

The six million dollar question is " What did Sandy do to the Radford?"

The only subway cars that I know of still in reasonable shape are in the bass grounds off OC, however we rarely dive them and it's been a while since we were there so who knows what they look like after all these storms we've had. I like diving the Winter Quarter Shoals off Chincoteague,it's a shallow, easy dive and during the summer the water there is warm.. Vis can be awesome there when you get several days in a row without swell, the swell / surge can stir everything up..

For a more advanced dive, the Marine Electric and the Screw Wreck are awesome! we hit these wrecks several times during the season.

Here is a video a friend took on Winter Quarter Shoals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYD_C8tgOAQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anything new on this topic? I am a relatively inexperienced diver with just shy of 20 dives and maybe 4 of them boat dives. I have vacationed in chincoteague all my life and would love to dive there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom