Chinese Vastfire Video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Grandy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I've been internet shopping for some lights to use with my sony hd as20 ( to which I cannot find a red filter for .. grrrr) and I came across these....

12000LM 10x XM-L2+4x R+4x UV Underwater 100M Scuba Diving Flashlight Torch Light | eBay

Its sooo tempting to try it... considering how much light they should generate and the fact they're adverstising red and uv led's... but it looks new and untested with no reviews... anyone try them?... maybe for the money I should just buy a pair of the Evolva Technology d02s. Its just not in the budget to buy a pair of solas or other very reputable lights right before a trip to the carribean.... open to all and any suggestions.. have a great day people...Thanks

Dave

I am also looking for lights, and tried to click on eBay feedback on seller, which did not click through. Can you read the negative comments on eBay? delayed shipping does not bother me, but exploding under water would be a serious negative.

I've been internet shopping for some lights to use with my sony hd as20 ( to which I cannot find a red filter for .. grrrr) and I came across these....
Is there confusion? If you have a video light, you do not need a red filter. A red video light will just make your videos red.

Is there confusion? If you have a video light, you do not need a red filter. A red video light will just make your videos red.

Okay thanks... I was kinda thinking a red filter would help when not very deep... say when snorkeling and all I wanted to bring was the camera and no lights to help with color correction a little but I'm glad you specifically mentioned using the red filter with the lights and the associated negative affect.

(I was just sorta throwing out a complaint on this in general... as I am dissapointed that Sony does not offer this yet offer a dedicated dive housing)

Lighting is really what I want.

Dave

I am also looking for lights, and tried to click on eBay feedback on seller, which did not click through. Can you read the negative comments on eBay? delayed shipping does not bother me, but exploding under water would be a serious negative.
I'm not worried about exploding so much... I think that's a low likely hood of occurrence.. I'm just picturing getting to 10 feet and light floods and dies.... womp womp womp.. money wasted.. video is going to suck.. lol

I don't know THAT light but I can guarantee you the specs are grossly exaggerated. 12K lumens :shocked:. If it doesn't flood AND those are truly XM-L2 (which I SERIOUSLY doubt), it .....might....put out 1200.
In general pretty much anything the Chines sell that is named ***Fire is junk. The batteries certainly will be. You can only buy 1-2 decent 18650 for that price. They are selling 4x18650, plus charger, PLUS a watertight light for $8.25!!!!! Naw, can't be done. A reasonably decent charger for 4 batteries will set you back $20.

OTOH, what you have to lose for that price. Go for it!!!! Report back. :bounce: :rofl3:
But don't make it the lighting 'backbone' of an important dive trip. :D :coffee: :popcorn: Seriously, don't do THAT.

Suggest shopping for better options. Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L is far more reasonable and functional bargain basement.

I don't know where the $8.25 comes from; if you actually select the options, the torch only is $91.29, and with four cheap batteries and a cheap charger it is $109.98.

We're talking 16' max depth on the housing and in the Caribbean right?
Rugged waterproof housing with tripod mount
Sealed in the housing, the camera is waterproof down to 16.40 ft
I don't think lights popping will be an issue at that depth...lol.

A red filter at that depth will turn everything yellow which is extremely hard to clean up in post-processing. Better to shoot with no filter, Plus your camera has an underwater mode built-in. It sort of pushes the reds a little if it's like my buddy's Canon - takes out some of the blue.
Underwater mode for natural colors
Action Cam will take beautiful, natural color images even underwater. Simply set the underwater white balance before shooting to prevent a distorted greenish color, keeping water as “true blue” as it appears in real life.
Personally I like the blue as it's how I remember shallow water looks in the greater Carib.

Last edited:
I don't know THAT light but I can guarantee you the specs are grossly exaggerated. 12K lumens :shocked:. If it doesn't flood AND those are truly XM-L2 (which I SERIOUSLY doubt), it .....might....put out 1200.

Properly driven xm-l2s can easily hit 600 lumen, it isn't impossible to get 6000lm from 10 of them. cree led's are relatively cheap that it is very rare to have the seller even bother faking them. usually you just get a poorer binning than claimed, but very hard to tell without test equipment.

Back
Top Bottom