Chinese Vs. American Made Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only buy JMJ wetsuits made in SoCal. The last AMERICAN wetsuit company. The quality is great as well as the pricing. When you have a choice, why buy foreign? Stop sending our money to CHINA!!!

You need to understand the wetsuit manufacturing market. The company that manufacturers the Neoprene is NOT necessarily the company that cuts and stitches (assembles) the suit, some are, but not always.

Now, the biggest manufacturer of neoprene in the world is Sheico Taiwan, and the second biggest Nam Liong Taiwan.

Virtually ALL the major brands have their suits made by factories using the neoprene from one of these two manufacturers!.

Sheico also has a huge cut and stitch dept in their own factories and so do's Nam Liong through their sister company "Winning" and, again, virtually ALL the major brands have their suits assembled to their own required specs regarding colour, design etc here, especially Sheico, who has the lions share of this brand market.

However, in so saying, their are also a huge number of independant Asian factories who simply buy the neoprene and cut, stitch and sell a finished suit. Most are excellant.

Most smaller cut and stitch factories internationally will buy their neoprene sheets in their particular thickness from Sheico or Nam Liong or one of their distributors, and Sheico USA is a monster in this market, so however you look at it, there is a huge Asian componant in any suit.

However, if you do decide to buy a suit from China or any Asian company just remember that the Asian body build / shape (and hense their wetsuit cut) is NOT the same as the "Western / European" body build / shape, you need to tell them, and to ensure that the suit you buy is for a European / Western build (cut) - these cut and stitch companies are well aware of this differance, they will know immediately what you are talking about.

As to the quality, well, if its good enough for all the major brands, then I would say its good enough for most divers.

Finally, I visit Sheico Taiwan probably, once a year, this company is on the cutting edge of technology in the wetsuit industry both in neoprene manufacture and cut and stitch and their quality is excellant (a single suit probably go's through 5 quality checks before dispatch) really, there is nothing these guys dont know about wetsuit manufacture.

Last edited:
Tony Coral Reef Here Most of the Asin suits made today are smaller then they use to be, over the years the suit sizes have gotten a bit tighter around the sholders and torsos, this is one of the biggest complaints we recive dayly, and they don't last as long anymore. Mahalo Tony.

Tony Coral Reef Here Most of the Asin suits made today are smaller then they use to be, over the years the suit sizes have gotten a bit tighter around the sholders and torsos, this is one of the biggest complaints we recive dayly, and they don't last as long anymore. Mahalo Tony.

Sounds like an incorrect body shape pattern is used, as I mentioned above.

I am interested to hear why you say they dont last as long anymore, are you finding this is due to a "neoprene" issue (eg) the neoprene collapses or the jersey delaminates, or more due to a glue and stitch issue (eg) the seams pull apart or the stitching pulls loose.?

I'm just curious. If people were coming into your shop telling you that Asian suits made today were great would you post that on this board?

"American companies have techniques today that make suits last forever"...don't you run out of customers?

Really, these subforums have just become commercials recently.

No offense to you, you are just doing your job but it is a sales pitch.

The Chinese sewing is as good as the American, but the neoprene does not compare, nor does the attention required to cut and fit a good custom suit.

Hello SB Readers,

Wetwear makes wetsuits here in the U.S.A. What makes our suits different from the suits made over seas, is the material. We use Rubatex neoprene which is made in Virginia, and has a nitrogen cell structure. What this means to a diver is that the neoprene does not compress at depth. If you go to this link, Wetwear - Hyperbaric Chamber Test Wet Suits for Neoprenes - How does yours hold up? ,we have a video that demonstrates different types of neoprene compressed in a pressure chamber. Of course we think our suits are the best and constructed to the best quality, but our main quality difference is our material and the fact that we are USA made!

Let's be accurate. Your website claims that, "Wetwear NCN and Rubatex G-231NBN compresses less and recovers faster than other neoprene. It lasts longer over time as it is more compression resistant and durable and retains its flexibility and warmth retention capabilities longer." I know nothing about NCN, but I do know G-231N and I wholeheartedly agree. However, your posted statement that, "the neoprene does not compress at depth." is not correct.

Chinese made vs American made? OR Chinese brand vs American Brand?

Most wetsuit I came across are made in China, including Pinnacle, Deep Sea, Aqualung, Henderson. I have no problem with that. In fact, what isn't made in China these days. If you only use things made in USA, you probably need to earn 2x or more income to sustain your current life style.

Like I said in an earlier post. I highly recommend Wetwear! I think once people have a custom suit made for them with a perfect fit, it will be hard to go back to a suit off the rack. And their prices are very reasonable in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom