Choice of computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many

Reaction score
=-)

I'm am offered two second-hand computers at almost same price

One's a Mares-surveyor, the other one a Suunto companion.

I'm stuck in this choice. The Mares surveyor has more options and capabilities, but Suunto is supposed to be a leading branche isn't it?

Does anyone hav any thoughts, that can help me make up my mind

thx

many once bubbled...
=-)

I'm am offered two second-hand computers at almost same price

One's a Mares-surveyor, the other one a Suunto companion.

I'm stuck in this choice. The Mares surveyor has more options and capabilities, but Suunto is supposed to be a leading branche isn't it?

Does anyone hav any thoughts, that can help me make up my mind

thx

Ok, for starters, I'm not fond of buying second hand computers. I like brand new, with a warranty. Longevity is very important to be, and if that fails, I can always take it to the manufacturer or service center and say "Fix it, buddy'!

I am not familiar with thier of those models, but, still, are they nitrox capable? If not, pass on them. Maybe you don't dive nitrox now, but, you will most likely, sone day. Get the most bang for your buck, and if your short the $$$ for the computer you REALLT want, then SAVE tge money up, you'll feel better about it, rather than regretting being stuck with some hand me down antiquated gizmo that doesn't serve your purpose.

Well.. see I am a starter. Just certified AOWD only 15 logged dives.

I hope someday I will be on Nitrox and by that time I will have bought my very own brand new computer (probably a costing me a fortune). I totally agree to ur P.O.V. on that.

Just for now I'm offered these two simple computers, each for the price of a day's salary. So that would be nice for my next holiday. I'm just looking for advise... how's Mares for computers versus suunto...things like that.

Many

The companion is pretty basic so it would need to be cheap. I don't know much about the Mares, sorry.

I think you have a reasonable plan. Get a cheap one now and then buy a flashier one once you know what diving you will be doing. There will be some new models out by then.

There is an interesting comparison/review here:
http://www.divernet.com/gear/comps699/main699.htm

PS don't forget your tables and dive planning.:)

rdbark once bubbled...
Sorry I've got no experience of either of these, but this is the link to the full manual from Mares on the Surveyor. http://www.mares.com/pdf/Surveyor.pdf

At least you can check out the features it offers in more detail.

Hope this is helpful.

:rolleyes:
Thx, but I know more or less what the Mares can do from their website. It seems an awfull LOT for a simple computer. The Suunto is simpler... only has basic diving functions.

My struggle on decision is..
How relyable is Mares (in computers that is).
Should I go for the established name and quality that Suunto has in computers.
Or should I go for all the extra gimmicks (I Like, I like, I Like :D )

well I'll sleep on it...
Many

Just had a quick read of the website (not much to do at work today :D ). The surveyer looks pretty good. The profile and logging features are really useful. It also seems to give all the info you need, not many gimmicks.

If you can get some infp about reliability then go for it :)

I've got a Mares M1 and unfortunately I had to send it back as the total dive hours logged wasn't working. The computer seemed to do everything else okay, but it wasn't something I was prepared to risk.

I sent it back to the shop, they fowarded it to Mares UK and within 7 days of sending it off, I had a shinny new one arrive in the post.

Excellent customer service but obviously some concerns raised about reliability of Mares Computers. I've only logged five dives on it since but all seems okay on this one.

rdbark once bubbled...
I've got a Mares M1 and unfortunately I had to send it back as the total dive hours logged wasn't working. The computer seemed to do everything else okay, but it wasn't something I was prepared to risk.

I sent it back to the shop, they fowarded it to Mares UK and within 7 days of sending it off, I had a shinny new one arrive in the post.

Excellent customer service but obviously some concerns raised about reliability of Mares Computers. I've only logged five dives on it since but all seems okay on this one.

Just as I was almost reaching a decision.....

;-0

thx anyway.. this sort of Xperience is really helpfull.

Here's what i'll do

I almost read the manual (Nothing to do here :D ) so by the time I go check out the computer i'll now how it works. I'll have a check on it's running totals. After that I'll put it on a robe of ten meter and submerge it somewhere for ten minutes.

When I pull it (slowly) to the surface. I should be able to see the logged dive and the added running totals...

If this goes well, I'll take it

Greetz
Many

My wife has the M1 and so far its worked fine. The only complaint I had is that it is sometimes difficult to push the buttons and get it to do what you want. Other than that its a nice little computer.

And since my Uwatec Smart Pro has been recalled I will be using it myself. Fortunately she hates the quarries so I can still dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom