Christo Lube in MR12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had my MR12 serviced at a Mares-recognised centre in the UK. They put Christo Lube into the central chamber, over the thrust pin and spring, a layer over everything.
6 months later I had the filter changed at a centre in Italy, also by Mares-trained staff who are use the MR12 all the time, who told me that there should never be any grease or lubricant in the central chamber. And that in their opinion it was potentially dangerous and the Lube could atomise and be breathed during use, and should be cleaned out completely.
Does anyone know which is correct procedure for maintaining Mares regulators, so I can get it appropriately serviced in the right location in the future? Is there any technical information to which I can refer, or ask the servicing centre to refer?
Or even, how can I contact very elusive Mares, in the UK or in Italy (either is equally convenient for me.)
Any information gratefully received - thanks.

I'm sure someone else will respond soon, but here is my take on your question:

The O-rings should have been lightly lubed, and the base of the diaphragm spring should have been lightly lubed.... and "lightly" is the key word. It sounds like the Italian Mares staff were correct when they told you there should not have been any lube on the poppet spring or poppet pin.... maybe the UK tech thought that if a little is good in certain areas, a lot is better EVERYWHERE? :D

Best wishes.

I had my MR12 serviced at a Mares-recognised centre in the UK. They put Christo Lube into the central chamber, over the thrust pin and spring, a layer over everything.
6 months later I had the filter changed at a centre in Italy, also by Mares-trained staff who are use the MR12 all the time, who told me that there should never be any grease or lubricant in the central chamber. And that in their opinion it was potentially dangerous and the Lube could atomise and be breathed during use, and should be cleaned out completely.
Does anyone know which is correct procedure for maintaining Mares regulators, so I can get it appropriately serviced in the right location in the future? Is there any technical information to which I can refer, or ask the servicing centre to refer?
Or even, how can I contact very elusive Mares, in the UK or in Italy (either is equally convenient for me.)
Any information gratefully received - thanks.

Here is a quote from our Mares Lab manager. Sorry for the delay, I wanted to make sure I am sending out the most accurate information possible.

In response to the question, there should only be a little bit of Cristolube inside the HP Chamber. This is what houses the backup Teflon ring and the o’ring. This unit rides on the shaft of the tri-material poppet. So that o’ring inside the HP chamber needs a thin coat of lubrication not to the point of swimming in it. Anything outside of that is a potential dangerous!!!! Who every corrected this problem in Italy did the right thing.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Many thanks for swift replies.
Zak, just to be absolutely clear I understand your reply and the right vocabulary (I need to translate this into Italian too and am referring to the diagram in the manual), there shouldn't be any christolube on the thrust pin, and there shouldn't be any of the spring above it, i.e. the compensation chamber?
A thousand thanks

Cannigione,
You are welcome for the reply. No problems with the translation. You are CORRECT, there should not be any lubrication on the pin or on the spring. You might see a little bit inside the compensation chamber due to the o-ring needs lubrication.

Best regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom