Chromis vs D4i vs Geo 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee, the "conservativeness" of the Suunto algorithm is a misnomer. The problem with it is that it's shaped wrong and tracks your profile wrong. It might be safer, but on a repetetive-dive-day trip it might put you into deco easily or give you VERY little NDL time.
Do you think divemasters will have this problem? Maybe because they have to guide multi-dive trips almost everyday?

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 08:05 PM ----------

NobelSix,Used is not impossible to find. I have a D9 that I am willing to sell. $650 with transmitter. It's not the latest version that does trimix, but it does do nitrox and gas switching; I believe it tell time too. I have grown quite fond of it and like the Ai on the wrist...If interested, PM me.
Hi Jcaplins,Thanks for the reply but i'm on a tight budget right now. $650 is a bit too expensive for me, and i still have to pay the shipping cost. But thanks for the offer.

Dee, that's absolutely a problem for DMs. What's really scary, is I've heard of some buying two cheap Suuntos and swapping them out to keep their NDLs better. That means they have no REAL tracking of what their nitrogen loading is.

The one time I ever saw a DM's dive computer, it was in gauge mode which would avoid the "problem" (obviously it provides the opportunity for others).

If you are looking at the Geo, you might also want to consider the Oceanic OCS - with its matrix display I think it's a little more comparable to the D4i. At Leisure Pro it's listed at only $40.00 more than the Geo (and 4120 less than the d4i). not sure where you are planning on buying from, but if online, I've had good success calling Leisure Pro and getting a better (often much better) than advertised price - since you say cost is a concern.

If you are looking at the Geo, you might also want to consider the Oceanic OCS - with its matrix display I think it's a little more comparable to the D4i. At Leisure Pro it's listed at only $40.00 more than the Geo

Is the OCS being discontinued? It is no longer listed on the Oceanic website and is significantly discounted, with the same price, at Scuba.com and Leisurepro. Not that being discontinued is critical as long as it's a quality product and will be supported. Heck, I dive a AI VT3 as my primary, it was replaced by the VT4.1 quite a long time ago. I do dive a Geo2 with an SPG as backup. I like the Geo2 very much. I've been diving the DSAT algorithm since my 1st Pro Plus in 2000 and appreciate its relatively liberal nature.

I met one dive guide in Cozumel who sold his Suunto for a UWatec because of this problem. It was too conservative on repetitive diving for him to do his job and he could not afford Nitrox.

Another problem is that some dive operators will chastise you if your computer goes into deco.

I don't Know anything about the Geo, A friend of mine dives the D4i and Likes it.. he complains that it is a little too conservative tho. I just recently bought a Scubapro Chromis. Now this is the first computer that I've owned, but Ive seen a few in action. one of the previous posts mentioned that It might be hard to read...this is not true as it has a larger readable surface than the D4i. The only complaint I would have against the Chromis is the complexity of the menus....I know there are more complex computers out there..but for the info that your looking for you really have to get in the book to figure out what you want from the computer.

I have the Oceanic Geo 2.0, and love it. Never a problem with it. Easy to use, but does take some practice getting used to the various menus and settings.

My only complaint is that it requires a strap extender to use over a 7mm wetsuit or any dry suit. I fixed that by removing the strap and going with a NATO strap, which I prefer anyway due to the added benefit of not losing the computer should one of the pins break or come loose.

Hei guys,

Considering one of these comps as well currently...

Wondering if anyone has side by side image comparison for these 3 or 2 of em...?

Would like to know which one has smallest dimension... *I have small wrist bone. Unfortunate the website never mention abt their diameter...

Would be great if you could share...

Thanks!
Kebo

Back
Top Bottom