Chromis vs D4i vs Geo 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noblesix

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Which one is good for beginner and cheaper? By the way, D4i has been redesigned and they look nice. I have been looking for used Suunto but it seemed impossible. Want to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

suunto novo.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of my Geo 2. It gives all the info a beginner needs as well as providing additional functionality (2 gas mixes for example) should your diving become more advanced. I also like that the Oceanic DSAT algorithm is liberal and matches the PADI tables, should one be a PADI diver and actually use tables. It also has the second algorithm plus ability to add conservatism should one want an theoretical extra margin of safety. Pretty much any DPC can be made more conservative, few (if any) can be made more liberal. Algorithm is personal preference though, pick which you prefer.

I can't compare it against the other 2. I have zero experience with either (and never heard of the Chromis). Price will be dependent on where you buy it - everybody lists their prices online, it's pretty easy to see which is cheapest.

I'm a big fan of my Geo 2. It gives all the info a beginner needs as well as providing additional functionality (2 gas mixes for example) should your diving become more advanced. I also like that the Oceanic DSAT algorithm is liberal and matches the PADI tables, should one be a PADI diver and actually use tables. It also has the second algorithm plus ability to add conservatism should one want an theoretical extra margin of safety. Pretty much any DPC can be made more conservative, few (if any) can be made more liberal. Algorithm is personal preference though, pick which you prefer.

I can't compare it against the other 2. I have zero experience with either (and never heard of the Chromis). Price will be dependent on where you buy it - everybody lists their prices online, it's pretty easy to see which is cheapest.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. So it's +1 for Geo 2. I like it too and I think the display is very clear. I feel D4i is a bit small.

My wife owns and dives a Geo 2. The first dive on that computer was with me in a cave.....I knew my DG03 was good at getting me back safely, I wanted to see what the Geo 2 had to say. It has a bright backlight, clearly written font for the display, and all of the important information is relatively large. It's as easy to read (if not easier) as my puck-sized DG03. I have a dive buddy with the D4i and another with a D9, and they never get wet anymore....they've moved on to new computers. Another thing to mention is that Suunto computers are typically considered to have very poor algorithms. However, I have no direct experience with the Suunto series and none at all with the Chromis.

Hi guys,

Which one is good for beginner and cheaper? By the way, D4i has been redesigned and they look nice. I have been looking for used Suunto but it seemed impossible. Want to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Another Veo 2 user here.
**Note that this is the only computer I've owned, and only have used a mares puck before that.**

Works as advertised, easy to read and setup, nitrox ready (to 50%), and pretty much any alarm, warning that you can think of (if you want it. I don't use the alarms, just the SS countdown).

I keep mine on DSAT to match up close to my tables so if there ever is a failure (ie dead battery), I can keep on diving for the day.

I have the USB cable (extra $80-100) that I use with my Mac Air and Subsurface with no issues (just need to install a driver).

BRad

My wife owns and dives a Geo 2. The first dive on that computer was with me in a cave.....I knew my DG03 was good at getting me back safely, I wanted to see what the Geo 2 had to say. It has a bright backlight, clearly written font for the display, and all of the important information is relatively large. It's as easy to read (if not easier) as my puck-sized DG03. I have a dive buddy with the D4i and another with a D9, and they never get wet anymore....they've moved on to new computers. Another thing to mention is that Suunto computers are typically considered to have very poor algorithms. However, I have no direct experience with the Suunto series and none at all with the Chromis.

Hi Victor,

Glad to hear from you again. Suunto has only one algorithm, the RGBM and people say it's more conservative. Does it mean it is safer for diver?

Dee

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 10:08 AM ----------

Another Veo 2 user here.
**Note that this is the only computer I've owned, and only have used a mares puck before that.**

Works as advertised, easy to read and setup, nitrox ready (to 50%), and pretty much any alarm, warning that you can think of (if you want it. I don't use the alarms, just the SS countdown).

I keep mine on DSAT to match up close to my tables so if there ever is a failure (ie dead battery), I can keep on diving for the day.

I have the USB cable (extra $80-100) that I use with my Mac Air and Subsurface with no issues (just need to install a driver).

BRad

Hi Brad,

Sorry for asking but what is DSAT and what does it mean to "keep it on DSAT?" Is your Veo a wrist or console type?

Dee

Hi Victor,

Glad to hear from you again. Suunto has only one algorithm, the RGBM and people say it's more conservative. Does it mean it is safer for diver?

Dee

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 10:08 AM ----------

Hi Brad,

Sorry for asking but what is DSAT and what does it mean to "keep it on DSAT?" Is your Veo a wrist or console type?

Dee

Hi Dee,

It has 2 NDL algorithms you can choose between Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) or Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis).

The DSAT follows the PADI tables I have in my dive bag pretty close, while the Z+ is more conservative. Further more, you can turn on an additional conservative factor on top of the two algorithms (you can use only 1 algorithm at a time, and I believe you can't change it until a 24hrs SI after a dive - so all tissues have theoretically no residual nitrogen loading).

I haven't put it into deco on any dive (many dives to 35m for 45-70min BT multi level dives), as I usually run out of gas with an AL80 before hitting NDLs at reasonable depths.

As for mounting, I have the wrist mount. I took off the straps and used 1/8" bungee in its place for mounting on my forearm (same with my compass).

BRad

Dee, the "conservativeness" of the Suunto algorithm is a misnomer. The problem with it is that it's shaped wrong and tracks your profile wrong. It might be safer, but on a repetetive-dive-day trip it might put you into deco easily or give you VERY little NDL time.

NobelSix,

Used is not impossible to find. I have a D9 that I am willing to sell. $650 with transmitter. It's not the latest version that does trimix, but it does do nitrox and gas switching; I believe it tell time too. I have grown quite fond of it and like the Ai on the wrist...

If interested, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom