class for class sake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of all the courses available out there, I rate cavern and rescue as the two most useful and valuable to the recreational diver who wants to become "good." If you don't want to mess with caves/caverns, take Advanced Nitrox (TDI/NAUI/IANTD/SSI etc) or Tech Foundations (SSI) or DIRF (GUE).
Rick

I agree, Rick. They're also the most fun courses to teach IMO.

Dive-aholic:
I'm referring to a death in Ginnie Ballroom several years back. I don't know many details, but I heard about it from a reliable source.

I am not familiar with any scuba deaths in Ginnie Spring since they have installed the grate. There were a number of O/W deaths before the grate and rope were installed but none that I know of since or are any listed on the IUCRR. This is not to say that there have not been any but rumours tend to circulate rather easy in NFL.

I am speaking specifically about Ginnie Springs and not Devils Ear or Devils Eye. These sites though accessed from Ginnie property are not O/W approved sites, O/W divers are not allowed to carry lights or enter the caverns in those springs.

Bobby

I appreciate all of the responses to my question. I was unaware there were different classes: cavern vs cave. I thought it was all covered in one class. The idea of going in areas with no ambient light does not appeal to me and would probably make me go through air really fast.
The DM on the dives, when I asked him if he was doing a frog kick, was surprised that I noticed it and did spend time with me to try and help me work on my frog kick. I had read about it here on the forum and described, but had never seen it done.
I am rescue certified and want to continue to learn all I can. I am also very cautious when it comes to new environments to dive in. I would also never get my son in a situation that I am not comfortable in.
When we were in Catfish Hotel, we were not allowed under the overhead and could always look up and see duckweed and the surface.
I just thought that there would be some information in a (apparently cavern) class that would transfer over to diving in general and either make me a better diver or more comfortable. Thank you for affirming my assumption.

Bobby F:
I am not familiar with any scuba deaths in Ginnie Spring since they have installed the grate. There were a number of O/W deaths before the grate and rope were installed but none that I know of since or are any listed on the IUCRR. This is not to say that there have not been any but rumours tend to circulate rather easy in NFL.

I am speaking specifically about Ginnie Springs and not Devils Ear or Devils Eye. These sites though accessed from Ginnie property are not O/W approved sites, O/W divers are not allowed to carry lights or enter the caverns in those springs.

Bobby

Like I said, I don't know many details. What I do know is it was an OW diver in the Ginnie Ballroom, panic set in and the diver hit the inflator. The diver got pinned to the ceiling and ended up dying. I don't think it would appear in the IUCRR because it wasn't a "cave" related death. I also heard of another diver that panicked and shot for the surface suffering an embolism. Again, not many details, but from a reliable source.

Dive-aholic:
Like I said, I don't know many details. What I do know is it was an OW diver in the Ginnie Ballroom, panic set in and the diver hit the inflator. The diver got pinned to the ceiling and ended up dying. I don't think it would appear in the IUCRR because it wasn't a "cave" related death. I also heard of another diver that panicked and shot for the surface suffering an embolism. Again, not many details, but from a reliable source.

I think there's a thread about the accident someplace here on the board. As I recall, she had her mask flood or something and dropped (or lost) her weight belt and got pinned to the ceiling.

The skills you learn in cavern, fundamentals (whatever agency) are in my opinion extremely valuable and would make any diver better, or at least aware of what they need to focus on.

precise buoyancy control, finning techniques, gas sharing protocols and general comfort in the water while under pressure/ stress are good skills to have.

When I started diving and had some dives under my belt... I was 'the man'.... until I took DIRF.....:=> back to basics. Then on to cavern and cave:=> I started building comfort on top of basic skills. Now, looking back..... fundamentals course and cavern/cave have been a solid foundation to grow to where I am now. I think this is a general path many have taken?

Yep...

Nitrox/Adv Nitrox (Fail), Fundies, Cavern, Cave, Adv Nitrox (pass), Cave, (Fundies again in '08 hopefully for a pass).

Fundies and Cavern opened the door....

MikeFerrara:
I think there's a thread about the accident someplace here on the board. As I recall, she had her mask flood or something and dropped (or lost) her weight belt and got pinned to the ceiling.

Thanks, Mike. I remember the mask and belt part now. I'll have to search for that thread. I actually heard about the accident from someone that used to work at Ginnie.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom