Clawed Lobster in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure this post will make folks think I'm crazy or permanently narced, but while diving in Aruba last November I overheard a DM say that he had seen a clawed lobster. He said it was a juvenile Maine lobster. I assumed he was just pulling some folks legs. About three days later on a ledgy coral dive, I spotted a spiny lobster. While checking it out, I see what looks to be a lobster in a crevice neart the spiny lobster, and it had CLAWS! Knowing that no one would believe me, I rapped my take and got the DM's attention (different DM from the one that claimed to see the lobsters previously). I showed it to him and later he told me he had never seen anything like it. Now let me describe this thing, whatever it was. It was very flat bodied, did not look like a crab, nor a Maine lobster nor a spiny lobster. It was very small, at most 1/4 lb, and it was banded and the tips of the claws were white. The closest thing that it looked similar to was a scorpion. Since it was backed into the ledge I couldn't really see the tail. I'm sure may of you are calling the men in white coats to come get me at this point. Could I have just had a bad air fill and was hallucinating? Any expert marine opinions will be very appreciated.

Did it look like this (Red Banded Lobster mentioned above)?

That is it! I used the reference to find even better images and that is definitely what I found. I really appreciate this as many folks at the LDS have questioned my sanity. I've printed this out and will seek my vengeance. Seriously, I appreciate this as it was driving me nuts.

There is a member of the lobster family which has claws and lives in the Carribean besides the Red Banded Lobster - it is the Flaming Reef Lobster (Enoplometopus antillensis). It looks like a freshwater crayfish, but with bright orange-red color and white lines. It has a white bullseye on the side of the carapace. I have seen several dozen here in Florida.

OK - next question - do they make good eats?

I don't know - they are worth about $50 at pet stores so I haven't tried eating one yet. I prefer slipper lobster or spotted spiny lobster.

zboss:
OK - next question - do they make good eats?
They're lobsters.
Rick :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom