Cleaning Up a Battery Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My apologies if this has already been discussed but I searched and didn't find anything. We have a couple of BigBlue dive lights. I don't know the model; they are not large but bigger than the mini model and each one uses 4 AAA batteries.

A battery leaked inside one of the lights; we have removed all of the batteries and now we want to clean the compartment before putting in new batteries to see if it still works.

What is the recommended way to clean the residue from a battery corrosion inside of a dive light?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's a photo of the dive light I am talking about.

BigBlueLight.jpg

I've always used a paste of baking soda and water, followed by brushing with an old toothbrush and brass brush on electrical contacts.

Yes...baking soda is a base so will neutralize the acid. Water and scrubbing will do the rest.

thanks for the information, do I have to getting the electronic contacts wet?

Yes. Get them wet. Get them clean. Very clean. Then, fully dry before putting new batteries in.

Yes...baking soda is a base so will neutralize the acid. Water and scrubbing will do the rest.

Almost all current primary AA and AAA cells are *alkaline* based.

There is no acid.

I'd use a mild acid like diluted vinegar. Followed by plenty of fresh water rinsing.

Your car has a lead acid battery, your flashlight doesn't.

Tobin

Last edited:
there is no need for some chemistry inside battery if there is no deposits on contact . ( if you use chemicals you have to know what you doing :))

so just rinse with fresh water or with combination of diluted suds (and fine tooth brush ),at end i rise electronics with isopropyl alcohol to displace

water and dry fast. If the contacts are damaged then i try them to repair with a tinning with soldering iron or if something more value with

electroplating ( nickel , gold )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom