Clearing the ears "no hands"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very useful as long as I do it regularly on a decent.

As a note, I blew an ear drum in a reverse block while freediving as a teen. Can't help wondering if I had drilled a more aggressive clearing/equalizing methods I might have saved myself 5 years stuck topside while it healed up.

So now I practice block and blows regularly just in case I have a stuffy block to clear.

Hands free,
Cameron

Are you guys all naturals, or has anyone here learnt to do it by following some guidelines that allow you to understand the mechanics of it in a step-by-step fashion and built up the skill gradually. I have tried all sorts of suggestions I found online, but unfortunately, nothing has worked for me so far. Any hints for those, who don't have the superpowers yet?

Mine was practice by a path of errors. However, bone structure makes it easier for some I've read... I still can't learn how to wiggle my ears though.

Tip: Something I remember doing was feeling below my ears while doing various throat/jaw movements on dryland to see which opened me up.

Good luck,
Cameron

feeling below my ears while doing various throat/jaw movements on dryland to see which opened me up

You can feel if your Eustachian tubes are open by touch? I had no idea. ( Pardon my ignorance in anatomy, I can certainly feel something moving, but not sure what that means. ) Can you clarify?

Last edited:
If my anatomy class serves me, I think the actual tube is feelable inside your mouth. I just touch outside and know the movement around that area that works

Trying now I can feel an opening movement at the top of my jaw which in turn goes with the crinkly equalization sound.

Maybe YouTube on naturopathic drainage for eustachian tubes would have some good graphics to illustrate.

The more you equalize, the easier it becomes (assuming you are not congested). After 30+ years of professional flying, my ears equalize every time I swallow. If you don't fly or dive frequently, the only thing I can recommend is to equalize a couple of times a day, or whenever you think about it. The problem is remembering to do it because equalizing is not a natural thing for us to do when you live/work at a fairly constant pressure altitude, and your ears are not giving you any hints as a reminder.

The crinkling sound can also be found by yawning. It occurs at the "peak" of the yawn. Then you can figure out how to get it without yawning (yawning not recommended underwater....). You can reach the crinkling as well by swallowing. northernone points out differences in bone structure. This is in line with why singers vary so much in tone.

I can equalize hands free in airplane but not underwater. You guys that can do it hands free underwater without pinching the nose are amazing.

I've descended very fast and far before and just left the eustachian tubes open the whole time by doing a sustained yawning maneuver. I can feel a constant and smooth exchange of air and never have pressure build up and have to do the clear every few feet thing.
Once you figure it out it's a wonderfull skill to have.
Most of my constant equalization happens when I'm freediving. I originally found out about doing this method when I asked a pro freediver about how those guys equalize so fast that ride sleds down to 600 plus feet, and he explained that this is the only way they can do it. I'm no where near that level of freediver, I might have gotten to fifty feet in the past on a good day, but the method remains the same.
An old scuba instructor and ex Navy diver told me about the same thing years ago. He said if I ever got tired of the head swimming and worn out plugged ear feeling after a day of diving to try this method. Your ears will never get over inflated because they will never be pushed beyond ambient pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom