Close call in Cozumel 7/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabluton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got to put my Rescue Diver training to good use this past week in Cozumel. On one of my dives I noticed on of the divemasters having some problems with an older man that was obviously in rental gear and didn't seem to be a very experienced diver. He was in a T-shirt and bathing suit (no wetsuit) and was on the bottom kicking the corals because his weight belt was about to fall off from around his waist. He was struggling and obviously in distress. The divemaster managed to get him off the coral and onto a sandy bottom at about 50 feet of depth.

I swam over to assist her because she wasn't able to calm him down or to get his weight belt back up around his waist. Upon reaching him I saw the panic in his face, he was obviously on the verge of total panic. It took 3 of us but we managed to get his weight belt back up around his waist and cinched tightly. One of the divemasters calmed him down and took him to the surface where she found the dive operation that he got seperated from.

I was very greatful for my training and know that without it and the confidence that it gave me I would have been much less likely to swim over and assist a panicking diver. It was a nice feeling to be able to help someone and prevent a possible rapid ascent.

Nice job!

You said:
kabluton:
One of the divemasters calmed him down...
What exactly did the DM do to clam the diver down?

Rick Inman:
Nice job!

What exactly did the DM do to clam the diver down?

He calmed down after his weightbelt was no longer falling around his ankles.

Good work. I'm sure both the diver and the DMs appreciated your help!

The last time my weight belt came undone, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to drown. Anyone watching would have had a laugh as well.

Seriously, though, having a weight belt come undone shouldn't automatically make it a serious situation, especially if the weight belt is still attached to the diver in some manner. It is obvious this diver was lacking in training. Something I see more and more. And not only in just divers, I've seen DMs and Instructors that I was not completely sure that they could take care of themselves, much less students or customers.

DennisW:
Seriously, though, having a weight belt come undone shouldn't automatically make it a serious situation, especially if the weight belt is still attached to the diver in some manner...
I had a conversation about weight belt fit (or lack of fit) with a male diver friend the other day, we were both wondering about the design of belts for men since most of you guys have no hips. Lots of guys have a hard time keeping their pants from slipping down a little and they don't have 10+ pounds in the pockets. We thought suspenders (somehow incorporated with the quick release) would be a good idea?? :06:

Queen:
I had a conversation about weight belt fit (or lack of fit) with a male diver friend the other day, we were both wondering about the design of belts for men since most of you guys have no hips. Lots of guys have a hard time keeping their pants from slipping down a little and they don't have 10+ pounds in the pockets. We thought suspenders (somehow incorporated with the quick release) would be a good idea?? :06:
In case you're wondering......

They do make weight suspenders http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp?id=044051 But I'm not sure if I would be comfortable using them in case of a emergency.

davsholm423:
In case you're wondering......

They do make weight suspenders http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp?id=044051 But I'm not sure if I would be comfortable using them in case of a emergency.
Well there goes that money making idea. :D

Seriously though thanks for the link, I'll pass it on (since I have curves I don't need suspenders but I can certainly see how they might work for guys).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom