Close call in Cozumel 7/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We thought suspenders (somehow incorporated with the quick release) would be a good idea?? :06:[/QUOTE]

We have the like that (with suspenders) in commercial diving but I hate them (I'm a woman) because they put all the weigh on my shoulders so I use a scuba belt. It works great on the guys though.

Queen:
I had a conversation about weight belt fit (or lack of fit) with a male diver friend the other day, we were both wondering about the design of belts for men since most of you guys have no hips. Lots of guys have a hard time keeping their pants from slipping down a little and they don't have 10+ pounds in the pockets. We thought suspenders (somehow incorporated with the quick release) would be a good idea?? :06:
I almost bought one of these a month or two ago:

http://www.dui-online.com/bc_wt.htm

See, if he was diving a BP/W the crotch strap would have caught the weight belt if it fell off. Well, since he would have had the most of the weight on the BP, the belt probably would not have fallen off in the first place..........good job there on the Rescue Skillz.

ShakaZulu:
See, if he was diving a BP/W the crotch strap would have caught the weight belt if it fell off. Well, since he would have had the most of the weight on the BP, the belt probably would not have fallen off in the first place..........good job there on the Rescue Skillz.

Well - only if the weight belt was worn under the harness. DIR seems to have changed to support weight belt under even if diving wet (unlike the old DIR tapes from GI3). Especially true in Cozumel when wearing probably no more than 6 lbs on your belt. If you can't swim up 6 lbs then you shouldn't be diving...

Occasionally I dive the DUI weight harness with a dry suit for PSD work. I split some weight between my weight integated Zeagle and my harness. The advantage is if I remove my gear underwater nothing floats away and pressure increases don't cause my weight belt to loosen.

DennisW:
Seriously, though, having a weight belt come undone shouldn't automatically make it a serious situation, especially if the weight belt is still attached to the diver in some manner. It is obvious this diver was lacking in training.

You are correct here. It appears that the weight belt may have just been the initiating factor, then things steamrolled from there. I've seen it happen before with other, relatively minor provoking factors. Hopefully, he went and got more training and confidence before diving again.

Again, good job.

BTW: I have the first generation DUI harness. Works great. More for weight distribution and trim than security, but it does stay secure.

My buddy has the Andy's weight harness, he likes it alot.

Congratulations on putting those skills to work. As far as weightbelts that won't slip off, we bought my wife a SS buckle for her weightbelt that has a spring-loaded "slider" along the backside so it cinches tight and then will adjust constantly through the dive to keep a good fit - I loved it when I dove with a weightbelt. It came out of the Trident catalog, so your LDS should be able to get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom