Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monday, I went diving. I had planned on using my hooded vest, but after putting it on, decided to use just a hood, instead. This change of heart occurred on the dive boat at the dive site. And, there were a bunch of SB members aboard ... and we had even talked about this thread.

Rather than going through the usual torment of removing the hooded vest, I tried something new: I first pulled my right arm back into the vest. I bent it at the elbow, got my fingers into the arm hole and then flexed the arm into the vest. This then gave me the leverage to quickly and easily pull the whole thing off over my head. I think I've tamed the silly thing. Now, if I could untwist my ears ...

I had a very bad wetsuit experience that wasn't quite as death defing but certainly heat exhaustion could have come in to play.

We had to rent 7mm and I sent the LDS shop all the necessary information to have the correct sizes ready for us to try when we arrived in the morning. My son and I each went into designated rooms and the grunting could be heard. Mine was way too small, I appreciate that the men there thought I would fit in but OMG. My son tried on his second and it fit, he was done. I tried on the next size up and still no success. I asked for a size larger, again. I think he handed me the same size thinking I was just... I don't know. So I thought I should accept it and walked out to show them with my arms sticking straight out and the crouch just above the knees. We agreed that I should probably go up another size. I said that was okay thinking I wouldn't have to try it on, I was tired and exhausted, but was told to try it on to make sure it fit before we went out on the boat. They also kept assuring me they wouldn't leave without me. Oh did I mention it was one of the one pieces with an attached hood that zipped from shoulder to shoulder? So after trying on the fourth wetsuit in about 30 minutes, we were off. The men in the shop were actually very patient and the day was great but having to put on a 7mm 5 times in one day was exhausting.

Laughing like an idiot but have had a similar experience. I tried on a semi-dry suit with the zipper across the back...at home...alone...in my bra and panties. Same problem, couldn't get out of it. After several attempts, I saw my new neighbor outside. I had to think long and hard about asking for his help since we had never met. How would I even explain my predicament? I decided to try one more time and then enlist his help if I was unsuccessful. Fortunately for me, I was able to get it off unassisted.

I had a very bad wetsuit experience that wasn't quite as death defing but certainly heat exhaustion could have come in to play.

We had to rent 7mm and I sent the LDS shop all the necessary information to have the correct sizes ready for us to try when we arrived in the morning. My son and I each went into designated rooms and the grunting could be heard. Mine was way too small, I appreciate that the men there thought I would fit in but OMG. My son tried on his second and it fit, he was done. I tried on the next size up and still no success. I asked for a size larger, again. I think he handed me the same size thinking I was just... I don't know. So I thought I should accept it and walked out to show them with my arms sticking straight out and the crouch just above the knees. We agreed that I should probably go up another size. I said that was okay thinking I wouldn't have to try it on, I was tired and exhausted, but was told to try it on to make sure it fit before we went out on the boat. They also kept assuring me they wouldn't leave without me. Oh did I mention it was one of the one pieces with an attached hood that zipped from shoulder to shoulder? So after trying on the fourth wetsuit in about 30 minutes, we were off. The men in the shop were actually very patient and the day was great but having to put on a 7mm 5 times in one day was exhausting.

:consolation:

Ok, these were really funny...especially the comments of caution! Reminds me of the field of aviation and all the rules we had to obey or 'modify'.

I was buying my first wetsuit as I just finished my OW and was now a diver. I went to a small shop run by a gentleman in his late 60s...translation "No time for funny business, ex-marine". Who assured me that he had suits with enough Xs to fit anyone. I think he was only interested in my buying a suit. So to get a feel for things he handed me a XL and pointed to the fitting room. The air conditioner was not working in the back half of the shop...where the fitting room was. There was a small fan. I got the first suit pulled up my to my waist and it was apparent that it was going no further. Took it off. Put my clothes back on and reported back to the Sgt. He was already digging for his XXl. I proceeded to the back to the hot fitting room and did it again. By this time I am warmed up pretty good. I am convinced that this one was my size. I go at it with commitment. 285lbs in a tiny bathroom with a suit that is two Xs short of my size and backwards! After about 5 minutes passed the Sarge came to check on me and could hear me struggling and offered to help get the zipper up. I was having trouble with the zipper. So I opened the door... the smile that came across this guys face was as if he hadn't smiled since WWII. I was getting some sorta vapor lock. He quickly found a new suit with 4xs and I put the money on the counter and left.

Reading these stories provides SO many belly laughs!! Thank you all for sharing!! I've got a semi-dry 8/7 that I haven't used yet and am very apprehensive about using it on our next trip. We're doing a "live-aboard" on a lake in August in Arkansas - can you say HOT? I'm doing my AOW and will need the 8/7 for the deep dive - but will take a 5 mil for the rest of the dives. I've tried on the 8/7 a couple of times and it takes a lot of huffing and puffing and each time I've thought "I'm going to snap my head off when I pull the hood off my head!" - and had that moment of "OMG - my head is stuck and I can't breath - where are the scissors!?" (it zips across the front from shoulder to shoulder). My 5 mil is the same size - same brand - and fits fine - it's just that the thickness of the 8/7 makes it so much harder to pull on. And I might just be the only female on the boat - ugh. If anyone has any helpful hints I'd love to hear them. Haven't tried soapy water yet, but have tried plastic grocery bags and they help some. Tried putting it on with a skin and it was actually worse.

Reading these stories provides SO many belly laughs!! Thank you all for sharing!! I've got a semi-dry 8/7 that I haven't used yet and am very apprehensive about using it on our next trip. We're doing a "live-aboard" on a lake in August in Arkansas - can you say HOT? I'm doing my AOW and will need the 8/7 for the deep dive - but will take a 5 mil for the rest of the dives. I've tried on the 8/7 a couple of times and it takes a lot of huffing and puffing and each time I've thought "I'm going to snap my head off when I pull the hood off my head!" - and had that moment of "OMG - my head is stuck and I can't breath - where are the scissors!?" (it zips across the front from shoulder to shoulder). My 5 mil is the same size - same brand - and fits fine - it's just that the thickness of the 8/7 makes it so much harder to pull on. And I might just be the only female on the boat - ugh. If anyone has any helpful hints I'd love to hear them. Haven't tried soapy water yet, but have tried plastic grocery bags and they help some. Tried putting it on with a skin and it was actually worse.

Some swear by panty hose
coffee.gif

Laughing like an idiot but have had a similar experience. I tried on a semi-dry suit with the zipper across the back...at home...alone...in my bra and panties. Same problem, couldn't get out of it. After several attempts, I saw my new neighbor outside. I had to think long and hard about asking for his help since we had never met. How would I even explain my predicament? I decided to try one more time and then enlist his help if I was unsuccessful. Fortunately for me, I was able to get it off unassisted.
I am pretty sure that thinking about having to ask an unknown neighbor for help when your "half nekid" put a little more emphasis in that last attempt :wink: :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom