Close call when you find yourself diving in the middle of a sailing race course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The site was picked on a whim due to the shallow water. We were unaware of the wreck untill we found it. There was no mooring on the wreck. When asked about the wreck, the longtime caretaker at the Peru dock said that he knew it was there. I just called the dive shop in Burlington who was unaware of any wreck on Schyler reef. They dive the closer more impresive wrecks in Burlington harbor. I just signed up to be on the mailing list for "The regetta for lake champlaqin". Their noble organization doesn't need a diver tragedy to mar their charitable work funded by the regetta. I am sure that a courteous letter from the N.Y.S.D.A. (not to be confused with DNY) reminding their organization of the regulations concerning diver down flags will be forth coming.

Your error was in misunderestimating what motivates sailboat racers ... many of whom have more money than brains. I raced for more than a decade at a pretty competitive level out of Marblehead, MA and witnessed a lot of whacky things. Racers who can quote the race rules like a sea lawyer would cut between a tug and a barge ... literally forcing the tug to cut his motor and allow the tow chain to sink so it wouldn't separate the sailboat's keel from its hull. Or, on one occasion, scream at a Coast Guard vessel to get out of their way because they "had rights". The only thing that prevents a lot of these guys from endangering not only your life, but that of their own crew, is the threat of a protest flag.

And for what? Best case, all they're gonna get for winning is a damn cup that you can't even drink beer out of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your error was in misunderestimating what motivates sailboat racers ... many of whom have more money than brains. I raced for more than a decade at a pretty competitive level out of Marblehead, MA and witnessed a lot of whacky things. Racers who can quote the race rules like a sea lawyer would cut between a tug and a barge ... literally forcing the tug to cut his motor and allow the tow chain to sink so it wouldn't separate the sailboat's keel from its hull. Or, on one occasion, scream at a Coast Guard vessel to get out of their way because they "had rights". The only thing that prevents a lot of these guys from endangering not only your life, but that of their own crew, is the threat of a protest flag.

And for what? Best case, all they're gonna get for winning is a damn cup that you can't even drink beer out of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually I have quite a few cups from my racing days that I can and do drink beer from.

You are quite right, though, A protest flag is about the only thing these guys fear. In order to get a competitor to protest someone who is violating your rights you need to educate the competitors. Once the sail boaters believe other racers will protest them if they come too close to a dive flag they will keep clear.

Actually I have quite a few cups from my racing days that I can and do drink beer from.

Me too ... but what I meant by "best case" is the pinnacle achievement of sailboat racing ... the America's Cup ... which, if I remember correctly, doesn't have a bottom ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me too ... but what I meant by "best case" is the pinnacle achievement of sailboat racing ... the America's Cup ... which, if I remember correctly, doesn't have a bottom ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's kinda useless looking if you ask me:

340px-America%27s_Cup.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're right, and the winner doesn't even get to keep it. It is, in effect, a traveling trophy.

A 25mm Red Flair over the bows may make some take notice. One in the sails will also get some attention.

I ave spent some time as a grinder and other time as sober crew on boats heading to Block Island. I always took the night watch as most others had no idea how to navigate any body of water, never mind long Island Sound and the Race.

As for Tugs and tows, I always remember this: New York Magazine - Google Books

A 25mm Red Flair over the bows may make some take notice. One in the sails will also get some attention.

I ave spent some time as a grinder and other time as sober crew on boats heading to Block Island. I always took the night watch as most others had no idea how to navigate any body of water, never mind long Island Sound and the Race.

As for Tugs and tows, I always remember this: New York Magazine - Google Books

<Off Topic>

I just read this 1981 story - Gilldiver, what was the final finding of the Coast Guard? Tragic story.

<End of highjack>

Nitrodiverr

It's amazing what a motivated diver can do with a length of harden chain and a couple of shackles.

Or better yet, an aggravated diver with that same piece of chain, and a case harden padlock.

May the bridge always be up!!!!!

Beer bottles salvaged from the idiots who throw them overboard filled with a blowgun make a very satisfying thump on the hull of a boat. And I'm betting based on many encounters with yacht club elite that they never even saw you with their noses so high in the air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom