Close calls with alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay...I'm pretty sure stalking is illegal in most states these days Wall-E! And you know darn good and well I can whip your skinny butt from one end of FRP to the other. You would just enjoy it a little too much! :mooner:

Breeding season would be interesting...I can almost picture Wally getting mounted by some big male gator!! :rofl3:

He'd probably enjoy it too!:D

Remind me not to dive the cooper river any time soon.

I was attacked by a gator last weekend. I didn't see it coming and it caught me by surprise. After hitting my head, I was able to spin around and pin the gator to the ground. After wrestling for a few minutes I carried the gator into the house, ran some warm water and cleaned some gator meat for a BBQ scheduled for the next day. I'll never be comfortable around that freezer again.

I think you could get a movie deal with that story.
If I were you, I might be thinking of another dive location.

Gator1.jpg

Click here for a Shark Tooth Map

The top photo is a tributary off of the Cooper River. It is called the French Quarter. The bottom is a photo of a Cooper River gator. I have dove the river maybe 90 times or so and I can say for sure, there are LOTS of gators in the Cooper River. They do approach sometimes, but not as a general rule.

I will tell you what I have heard and maybe it will be helpful to future river divers.

The gators usually sleep during the day. They do like laying in the sun. They are not near as aggressive as one might think. The gators are hard to get close to because they are scared of things larger than they are. They are especially scared of boats. They hunt in the evenings when the sun is starting to go down. They get active at dusk and in the early morning. They like to sleep mid day. They are ambush predators. They can bite underwater but must go to the surface to swallow. They usually do not stray far from their territory. Their territories seem to be about 1/4 acre in size. They like the edge of the river where there is tall grass. They dont usually hang out in the middle/bottom of the river. I did see a gator approach a diver on the surface. We told the diver to hurry to the boat but did not tell him of the gator. The boat captain had his hand on a 44 magnum pistol. He said it would likely glance off the gators leathery back if he had to shoot it. The gator turned around when the diver left the gators territory. The pistol was unnecessary.

Tips: Dive the center bottom and stay away from the edge. Dive in the middle of the day or late morning. Dive from a boat. Makes lots of noise. Do not hang around on the surface. Do not hang around next to the boat. Dive with a group. Go down the anchor line. Crab upstream and work towards the center of the river. Bail out when there is NO sound of a boat. Drift back to the dive boat.

Good luck and happy diving!

Makes me glad we dont have gators in the UK. Only trouble we seem to get into is frisky seals stealing our fins. I have visions of the critters all crowded around a PC on e-bay trying to sell them. :)

I dive in the Cooper River in South Carolina, so seeing alligators while preparing to dive is a very common thing. While we aren't really seeing more gators than usual, we are definately seeing more of them sub-surface. I am also the a divemaster for a local certification agency, and while on an advanced ow night dive we had alot of interaction with three alligators. None were visible at the onset of the dive (and we were looking), but upon sufacing, the three were close. While I and one instructor had the students, another instructor and a friend were shark tooth hunting about 75 yards down the canal from us. One of the alligators actually droped to the bottom less than three feet from the instructors friend. He jabbed it with his screwdriver, and qucikly departed company. When I surfaced with my students I had one very large gator closing fast on the surface, and two more about 50 yards away. The one approaching waved off at about 10 yards, I guess not liking the 50 watt halogen dive light. After we got out of the water the other instructor and his friend explained what happened to them.
I had the misfortune up creeping up on a 10+ footer in the same area earlier this year in about fourteen foot of water. Normally we don't see the alligators sub-suface at all. We did have a confirmed attack this past year out at short stay recreational facility when a man had his arm removed by a big gator. The pictures I've posted don't really do the gator justice. I am the dive team leader for the local rescue squad, and helped remove the mans arm from the gators belly on that day. He was huge!
So are there more divers having close calls/ interactions with alligators, or am I just that lucky?

I didn't see that anyone else has asked this question...why do you do this?

What is there to see in the Cooper River that is worth dealing with alligators?

Back
Top Bottom