Clothing advice for liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Towels, lots of t-shirts, swimsuits, light clothing, a jacket for nighttime, ear plugs, and towels again. These are few things she can add up to her bag… don’t even think of packing the entire bag for her. You could mess up a nice trip…

Robert

Charlie99:
Don't forget appropriate clothing for any stops or overnight stays while in transit.

Good point. Egypt is a Muslim country that still has a "thing" about women in shorts & tank tops. My advice is to make sure that if you are going into town, to make sure she is wearing slacks/jeans and at least something short sleeved.

Been there, done that...

My friend took his wife for a cruise (non-diving) for their honeymoon without her knowing what they were doing. He told her to pack a bathing suit(s), casual clothes for outside things, a nice outfit and at least something warm for seven days. She had an idea that they were doing a cruise but not where. They had a lot of fun.
Give your wife guidelines as to what to pack for how many days and let her do it.

I think it bears repeating to say that above all, remember that your space will be EXTREMELY limited on a liveaboard. So while it's all well and good to say "take extra towels", one beach-sized one apiece should suffice.

Likewise, taking two big roller scuba cases plus two clothing bags and assorted other stuff won't work. You simply won't have enough space for it all in your quarters aboard the boat.

Have fun,

Hello, I think you and your wife should go somewhere for a weekend and notice how she packed then you can pack her stuff yourself for that vacation - or just tell her what to pack but not telling her where to go.

El Orans:
Ladies,

I need your help.

for our 10th anniversary I'm taking my wife on a liveaboard in Egypt (end of march 2005). She doesn't know this.
So, I'm stuck with the task of packing her suitcase :11: .
What should I pack?

Thank you for your troubles,

Laurens

Hi Laurens

It can get pretty windy at night at the Red Sea, and at that time of year I’ve heard that the wind can still be chilly. Take along something warm like a sweat suit, preferably a windproof one. Sport suits are pretty trendy these days, so your wife might have one or two already. If not you can suggest that she gets one i.e. give her the impression that you might be taking her to a wellness week at a spa or somewhere where they’ll be outdoor activities. Also if you have a boating jacket that might not be a bad idea either. At least they tend to be windproof and waterproof. During the day, you'll probably be comfortable in t-shirts, shorts, and sandals.

Hope this helps

Sylvie

SubMariner:
I think it bears repeating to say that above all, remember that your space will be EXTREMELY limited on a liveaboard. So while it's all well and good to say "take extra towels", one beach-sized one apiece should suffice.

My wife and I have these camping towels - "Pack Towel" was the brand name - they hold ~4x their weight in water and wring out dry enough to feel dry on your skin. We were able to use the same towels after each dive.

plsander:
My wife and I have these camping towels - "Pack Towel" was the brand name - they hold ~4x their weight in water and wring out dry enough to feel dry on your skin. We were able to use the same towels after each dive.

Wow... sounds like a great product! I'll have to remember that for future trips. :thumb:

plsander:
FWIW, we pack zero towels, and it hasn't been a problem yet.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom