Trip Report Club Cantamar Report 11-11 to 11-18-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdman27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just now getting around to posting a report of trip I took to Club Cantamar in La Paz about a month ago. I apologize in advance for the long read. This was a trip arranged by my LDS. Because we are from Sonoma County and this was so close after the fires it ended up being a small group of 6 (which I preferred for many reasons, but was a detriment for others). My wife and I chose to go on this trip for a few reasons. First, we were jonesing to go an another trip after our last one! Second, it was very affordable. 5 days of diving, 7 nights of accommodation, 1 day of snorkelling with whale sharks and all meals was right around $1500/person. We had to purchase flight separately, and it was about another $250 round trip from SFO to Cabo. Third, this was a very short 3 hour flight which made it very attractive.
DSCI1647.jpg
Accommodations: this is the thing that might scare most people off. It must be noted that this hotel is not a 5-star resort, nor does it market itself as one. Rooms are clean, if a little small. The stairs are not a uniform height. Organization is a little chaotic. However, if you know what you are getting into, which we did from talking to others how have gone, it is fine. The pool is nice, if a little cold, but does have a swim up bar with a cool old bartender. The biggest issue we had was the food, which seemed to be a set menu where we hardly knew what we were getting. Most of the kitchen/restaurant staff didnt speak any English, which is fine, but made it hard for most people to get along. I speak just enough to get by, so we were ok. Once we figured out we could make requests of the kitchen, things got much better. Lunches on the boat were often the best meal of the day, which is great for a hungry crowd of divers.
DSCI1907.jpg

The dive shop: The shop is run by Anna and Sergio and they do a very good job with the resources they have. Upon arrival, each diver is given weights and allocated a locker to store gear. The individual lockers can only be locked if you bring your own lock, but each bank is locked unless a member of the shop is present. The nitrox mixer was out the week we were there, but most dives were relatively shallow and not generally longer than an hour, so diving air wasnt too bad. The boats were large, with 12-20 on each, split into groups of around 6. They did have smaller zodiacs that would take out groups on request. We generally dove with Anna, but when we didn't, we dove with Julian. Both had similar styles of leading us around and pointing out a few critters, but generally letting us set the pace and do as we wished.
DSCI1841.jpg

The diving: I really enjoyed the diving, whereas my wife was less impressed. I enjoyed critter hunting and all the different things I could find. She wished there was more color (most like we saw in Fiji or St. Lucia) and felt the dives got a little repetitive (which is a valid point). Honestly, a big portion of my enjoyment might have to do with me becoming more comfortable and confident in my diving. We finished our stress and rescue class on this trip and that really helped in feeling better. My underwater eyes also got better. I was much more able to find hidden/small creatures. I really enjoyed finding octopuses on almost every dive, as well as scorpionfish, nudibranchs, arrow crabs, etc. Highlights for me included a large guitarfish, a couple of bullseye electric rays, the octopuses, playing with the sea lion pups, the mobula night dive, and all the moray eels (probably saw about 500 over the course of the week). Below is a list of the dive sites we visited. I am happy to give any info about any site if interested, but will refrain here for brevity's sake.
DSCI2150.jpg

1. Merito
2. Salvatierra wreck
3. Swanne Reef
4 and 5. Los Islotes (sea lion dives)
6. Fang Ming wreck
7. San Rafaelito
8. La Tintorera
9. C59 wreck
10 and 11. La Reina
12. Playa Ensanada Grande (mobula night dive)
13. El Bajo
14. El Bajito
15. La Paz 03 wreck

DSCI2913.jpg

DSCI1934.jpg
DSCI2715.jpg
DSCI2029.jpg

Nice, practical report. There are a # of budget trips out there in this greater region; some live-aboard (e.g.: Blackbeard cruises, the Juliet, California multi-day live-aboards, the M/V Fling out of Freeport, TX), some land-based (I've seen good package deals for Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan). But for what you paid vs. what you got to do? Yeah, there were trade-offs, but it still rocks!

I appreciate the heads up to us non-Spanish speakers. About all I can do in Spanish is count to 4, and say thank you and bathroom. Probably not ideal.

Richard.

Nice, practical report. There are a # of budget trips out there in this greater region; some live-aboard (e.g.: Blackbeard cruises, the Juliet, California multi-day live-aboards, the M/V Fling out of Freeport, TX), some land-based (I've seen good package deals for Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan). But for what you paid vs. what you got to do? Yeah, there were trade-offs, but it still rocks!

I appreciate the heads up to us non-Spanish speakers. About all I can do in Spanish is count to 4, and say thank you and bathroom. Probably not ideal.

Richard.

Thank you Richard. I always enjoy your reports.

From California, this was a great, affordable option. I am still looking to do a live aboard to the Channel Islands, but that would be about the only more affordable trip for us (our LDS is actually doing a trip in March for the end of lobster season, but I will be out of town).

As far as Spanish, everyone except restaurant staff spoke English well. With patience you could usually get things figured out in the restaurant as well. But definitely something to be aware of. I would use the dive shop at Cantamar without any hesitation though.

Nice report and great pictures! Going to La Paz for a day to snorkel with the whale sharks in mid-January. Staying in Cabo San Lucas, we are also going one day to Cabo Pulmo to dive. You've about convinced me to talk to my buddy about maybe going back to La Paz to dive one day (just hate the idea of the 2 1/2 hour commute and the cost if going with some dive op in CSL.)

Nice report and great pictures! Going to La Paz for a day to snorkel with the whale sharks in mid-January. Staying in Cabo San Lucas, we are also going one day to Cabo Pulmo to dive. You've about convinced me to talk to my buddy about maybe going back to La Paz to dive one day (just hate the idea of the 2 1/2 hour commute and the cost if going with some dive op in CSL.)

The drive is beautiful, but it is on the long side for a day of diving. From what I heard from out DMs, the difference between Cabo Pulmo and La Paz is as follows: La Paz has a good amount of coral and small critters; Cabo Pulmo, because it is a protected area, has huge schools of larger fish, but much less of everything else and no coral.

Have fun! The whale shark snorkel is a blast.

Back
Top Bottom