Coast Guard attempts rescue on Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if my comment about the Great Lakes confused anyone. I don't fish. Since someone asked I figured it might be a local thing. Guess not.

If it was at 30', how did they get up to 2'?
My understanding from this part...
At 30 feet they hit a **** ton of stainless steel down rigger cable. The entanglement ripped the regulator out of the victims mouth and tangled it. At this point both divers were entangled, but the rescuer chose to try and pull himself and the victim up the mooring line. (A mistake). As the down rigger cable tightend around them in several places, they became more entangled and were held fast 2 feet from the surface.
Is that they hit a tangle of steel fishing line at 30 and the rescuer tried to fight their way up anyway, dragging & stretching the tangled wad to 2 feet before they were stopped - then wisely starting cutting.

Nice write-up iamjblevine and good save on the rescuer. :thumb:

I did not think you were confusing - but I wanted folks to know that we on the East Coast have been using steel leaders for years - when I was a kid fishing in the 70s we would use umbrella rigs for flounder and steel leaders for 20 lb bluefish... they are everywhere and can snag on wrecks or artificial reefs - if you don't know about other sports using your area as a playground - this thread could help someone someday...

If you don't own the EMT Shears you can buy them at an LDS or some retail outlets - stainless shears are what I carry as well as a knife

These are the best shears out there IMHO for both quality and economy. You can find less expensive, but they'll also be "cheaper". Unfortunately, they don't come with a sheath, but you can re-purpose most any sheath for them.
CountyComm - EMT Shears

Thanks for the informative follow-up. Was on the lake the same day on the west side and heard coast guard chatter about a rescue although we couldn't make out the details. Looking up when ascending is good practice although I'm not diligent about it (never mind during free flow situations). Seems the rescuer kept his wits about him but 12 minutes no breathing is a very close call.

Wow, what an ordeal your friends went through, iamjblevine. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about it and answer questions. Best wishes to your friend for a fast and full recovery.

Downriggers are used in any sizeable body of good fishing water over 40' deep (if not even more shallow). Thats LOTS of lakes and reserviors. They just don't cost that much anymore and sport fishing is very popular.

Very scary accident, incredibly good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom