Coast Guard Cutter Healy Deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GulfDiver77:
It is a shame that these lives were lost. I agree that some heads should roll.Especially the commanding officers involved.But some of the blame goes to the divers as well. BC inflator not connected ,over weighted ,disregarding safety codes. The families of these divers have my sympathy.

That bothers me, as well. I have to wonder how experienced they really were...

Notso_Ken:
Yeah, 60#s is a lot, but the wording is VERY ambiguous. The way it is worded, that could include the weight of the lead, tanks, and other gear. Including all that, I routinely have a total of 75-80 pounds of weight on me, while less than half of it is lead. If just lead was intended, you're right, that is a lot, and zippered pockets is an issue.

Ken

There is a sentence in the findings of fact that states the weight included the steel tank and the lead weights.

The findings of fact was a very difficult, tragic and sad read.

I commend the Commandant for releasing this to the public.

As stated in the findings these deaths were preventable - numerous procedures were not followed and mistakes made at all levels.

I will now wait for the District Commander to take action as directed by the Commandant where appropriate under the UCMJ. Some may not realize it, but there were 2 ongoing but separate investigations. One for operational safety and one for potential misconduct which could be the lead for legal proceedings.

The findings of fact discuss issues leading to the tragic events, and issues surrounding post event procedures. These are lessons to be reinforced for all divers.

With no disrespect for those involved and in keeping with the forums purpose of learning from tragic events - here are some parallel issues I see in recreational diving today

1. right gear/training for the dive/present dive environment

be it cave, wreck, deep or just open water

2. Proper pre-dive briefings

how many divers fail to conduct pre-dive briefs or do not pay attention to those given on dive boats

3. Be willing to call the dive - even before it starts if things just don't seem right

4. First aid procedures - recompression chambers.

When you dive, do you know where the nearest chamber is located?

Do you have DAN's phone number with you?

If you own your own boat and you dive, do those topside know how to use the boats radio - could they call for help if you were hurt? Do they know your location so they could give it to the Coast Guard or other assisting agency?

My deepest condolences to the families of LT Jessica Hill and BM2 Steve Duque

Steve

I have no printable comment for polite company.
Rick

Whew! Every one should sit down and read http://www.uscg.mil/ccs/cit/cim/foia/Healy/HEALY_FAM.pdf
I hate rules and regulations but is this ever a good reason to have them. If this was fiction I wouldn’t believe that much screwing up would be plausible.
The really sad thing is I bet it just looked like a fun thing to do.
Very good to read the findings. I’d guess the ripples will travel far and wide. I cannot imagine how many people are directly affected.

Sincere condolences to the families and all who were involved in this needless tragedy.

After hearing about the deaths of "trained" Coast Guard divers, I was left wondering if diving was perhaps more dangerous than I realized. But after reading the linked report, and findings of fact, WOW! Officers drinking beer and taking "polar bear plunges" while a couple of untrained dive tenders, who had been drinking, oversaw three inexperienced divers going under the ice wearing too much lead and with no redundant buoyancy.

A terrible tragedy.

Someone asked if anyones' heads roled - yeah, 3 - CO, XO, and OPS boss went to 3-star Admls Mast on Thursday

This is a terrible situation for everyone involved. The saddest thing here is that this was entirely preventable... most accidents are. Why is there not standardized training and standardized gear? Why was protocol ignored both by the divers and the crew? Ice diving by any standard has risks above and beyond recreational diving. Those in service should have access to the equipment they need to complete their objectives. Drysuits that do not fit and single tank recreational setups are poorly inadequate for the conditions of this dive. In my opinion this whole scenario is marked by a lack of experience, lack of training, lack of awareness, and lack of duty and care that likely is indicative of a problem the scope of which may extend beyond the divers and crew of this boat.

A tragedy for everyone involved and associated with it. I really feel for the family.

Vayu:
Why is there not standardized training and standardized gear?
A loaded question. There is standardized training; there is standardized gear. The report details each violation of these standards, and each violation is another link in the chain that led to this tragedy.
The training, gear and procedural standards have a huge safety buffer built into them, but with enough determination... if one violates nearly every one of them... even that buffer can be overcome.
Now I'd better hush before I post something really harsh.
Rick

tedwhiteva:
Someone asked if anyones' heads roled - yeah, 3 - CO, XO, and OPS boss went to 3-star Admls Mast on Thursday

All 3 careers are in effect over.

I am trying to follow Ricks lead in this thread. There are bite marks all over my lips

-s

Edited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom