Coast Guard says man dies in 120-foot dive off Beaufort Inlet, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad to hear. Paul was pretty action in the North Shore Frogmen Dive Club. I did not know him personally but I know that lots of New England divers did.

Does anyone know which wreck they were diving?

Any details? What happened? Dive issues? Health issues? Found alone? With someone when emergency hit? How long on bottom before brought up? Sea conditions, etc.?

Thank you for that information. Do you know if it was a first or second dive?

Olympus often does a 2-tank trip. At Aeolus, the sand is at about 110 feet, as I recall.

I dove the Aeolus on 04 June 2011 and recorded a maximum depth of 113' near the sand between the stern section and middle section.

Did you hit the sand? What was the water temp at depth?

The word/rumor I heard was it was medical in nature. And I also believe that the Aeolus is in around 110' of water. Sad no matter what.

His name is Paul Sauvageau, and there's a picture of him on the Northshore Frogmen home page: North Shore Frogmen - Scuba Diving Club

Still no details that I can find.

On a slightly related note, I've been hanging out on this DL for many years, and for some reason, accidents from the Mid-Atlantic coast usually end up with little to no detail. It seems incidents from almost anywhere else in the world either comes out immediately with details or within a few days. Not an incident from Virginia Beach, Hatteras, or Morehead City areas. I wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom