Coast Guard says man dies in 120-foot dive off Beaufort Inlet, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you hit the sand? What was the water temp at depth?

My right hand was within a foot of the sand as I had two wrist mounted computers on my right arm, a Suunto D9 and a UEMIS. The D9 maximum depth was 115', surface temp 77 F, bottom temp 68 F. The UEMIS maximum depth was 112.7', surface temp 78 F, bottom temp 72 F. I've had more issues (and probably around ~400 more dives) with the D9 so I tend to favor the numbers from the UEMIS but truthfully I don't know if either are absolute.

...for some reason, accidents from the Mid-Atlantic coast usually end up with little to no detail. It seems incidents from almost anywhere else in the world either comes out immediately with details or within a few days. Not an incident from Virginia Beach, Hatteras, or Morehead City areas. I wonder why?

Roger, good question; I also wonder why...

From WAVY channel 10 / (wavy.com)

Man dies in N.C. diving accident
Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Lifeboat responded

Updated: Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011, 4:01 PM EDT

Leanna Caplan
FORT MACON, N.C. (WAVY) - A 60-year-old man died after a diving accident about 29 miles southeast of Beaufort Inlet on Tuesday.

A crewman aboard the dive boat Olympus contacted the Coast Guard at 9:39 a.m. and reported that a diver was recovered from the bottom of a 120-foot dive unresponsive and not breathing, a news release from the U.S. Coast Guard said.

An Olympus crewmember immediately started administering CPR.

A Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Lifeboat crew was dispatched from Station Fort Macon with a Coast Guard EMT aboard, and the diver was then transported to the hospital where he died.

This is the fourth diving accident in eastern North Carolina in the last two months, according to Lt. Kevin Sullivin, of Sector North Carolina.

"Cases like this are a reminder that diving is an inherently dangerous sport. Those participating are encouraged to exercise all due caution," Sullivin added.

The Coast Guard is investigating the cause of the incident.
(The posting of this copyrighted news article is protected under the "Fair-use" doctrine of US copyright laws, which allow the re-use of copyrighted matter, without permission, for reasons such as teaching and criticism of issues related to public health and safety. Click here for a further discussion of the Fair-use doctrine)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom