Cobra 2 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could the backlight problem be related to the battery level? I know the manual states that the unit locks out the backlight "for safety" when the battery level is too low. If not, I would be curious to know if it can be repaired or if you have to replace the unit?

Battery was changed in March and is still showing as ok on the test. Unit went back to Suunto distributor last week to be checked out. Will advise when on progress.

A friend of mine has had similar problems and was offered a Cobra 3 by Suunto as a replacement if he paid for post and packaging. This backs up my theory on design problems with the Cobra 2 & how they were phased out quickly.

Battery was changed in March and is still showing as ok on the test. Unit went back to Suunto distributor last week to be checked out. Will advise when on progress.

I realize this doesn't help the OP now, but one suggestion for people in the future is that if you dive in water that's anything less than warm, don't just check the battery at room temperature. Stick the computer in the fridge for an hour, and then check the battery.

A friend of mine has had similar problems and was offered a Cobra 3 by Suunto as a replacement if he paid for post and packaging. This backs up my theory on design problems with the Cobra 2 & how they were phased out quickly.

Actually a quick check of the Suunto website shows the Cobra 2 is still current production.

Hi All

I am one of the people Brian M talked about at the start of June. My original C2 when detatched from the high pressure hose constantly read 99bar. It functioned ok when reattached but obviously my confidence in it was severly dented knowing of this anomoly. The faulty unit was returned and replaced by Suunto with a brand new C2. After a few months of use this too started to give me problems. When attached the pressure gauge consistently read about 25bar less than when measured with a standard analogue pressure gauge. I suppose comfort can be taken from the fact that is was reading fail safe and not the other way around where it could have told me I had more air in my tank than what I really actually had. We attached another high pressure hose with an analogue gauage onto my first stage and I dived with that and the faulty computer for a few dives to see what the differences were. It was only the pressure sensor that acted up. The C2 has now been returned to Suunto for analysis. The down side is I am going to Sipidan in just over 2 weeks and I wont have it with me to log the dives there. Ah well, I suppose you cant have it all your own way - although it would be nice as you expect a fully functional computor when you pay for it, look after it and ultimately get it replaced.

Let's see what comes back from Scandanavia in a few weeks time.

Happy bubble blowing everyone.

Anybody who is based in Thailand, be very weary if you consider buying a Sunnto dive computer from this group of companies, from personnel experience I would strong suggest that you do not:-

Dive Supply - Diving & Snorkeling Equipment Wholesaler

Koh Samui Dive Supply

Koh Tao Dive Supply | Scuba Diving Equipment

Dive Supply - Koh Chang - Dive Supply Koh Chang Shop

They are the local distributor for Sunnto here, however they do not honour the limited 2 warranty offered by Sunnto in other parts of the world. They provide a rather shoddy local quick fix service.

Basically, my Cobra 2 went back to them after my last post, was with them for a period of 7 weeks. It was then returned with them stating they could find nothing wrong with it! 3 dives it is now not reading depths correctly and calculating O2 pp's incorrectly (alarm going off at 16m when diving on EANx 36% @ 1.4pp setting).

Unfortunatly for me it is shortly to become a very expensive paper weight or doorstop. I will be contacting Sunnto direct to express my disappointment - but do not hold out much hope and have heard Uwatec provide much better after market support.

Be warned!!!! :(

Hi All

I am one of the people Brian M talked about at the start of June. My original C2 when detatched from the high pressure hose constantly read 99bar. It functioned ok when reattached but obviously my confidence in it was severly dented knowing of this anomoly.

Can I ask what may be a dumb question, and I apologize in advance if it is: Was the air off and purged when you disconnected the C2 and it read 99bar? If not, it would appear that the unit would actually be retaining, internally, the last air pressure it experienced, and that to normalize the computer, you would have to reconnect it to get the internal pressure inside the computer to be released.

Thanks!

I have a close group of divers and we all (3) have the Cobra 2 and have no issues. We as a group always release the line pressure before we dissconnect the computer. I have seen others just dissconnect under pressure. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Each computer has over 100 dives with no issues.

I would like to see though if these do have issues if they would offer a C3 for additional cost or replacement.

HI ibj40

yes, everything was disconnected and not attached to the high pressure hose. I tried it on a number of tanks and every time when disconnected it defaulted to a reading of 99bar (instead of 0). I always depressurised the system before detatching any of my equipment as I have witnessed what an energised hose can do when not handled properly (I work in HSE). The consol constantly read 99bar when it was in the ON mode irrespective of whether it was attached or not. This wasn't an isolated case - this happened constantly over a period of a few weeks after which I returned it to the manufacturer. Suunto accepted that the internal pressure sensor that is linked to the LED display was not returning to the 0 mark when the unit was depressurised and was sticking open at 99bar. They replaced the unit. The second unit recently started giving me problems and it still with Suunto. I was very disappointed with this as I have just been to Sipadan and didnt have it with me to log the dive profiles (which it is very good at doing).

Back
Top Bottom