Cochran Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50sdiver

Reaction score
Has anybody used the Cochran Commander dive computer?
I'm planning to go to Truk Lagoon in 2yrs and I want something to back stop my table calculations.
I like the no lock out, planned decompression, and the ability to use two gases on the same dive. How ever the $1000.00 price and with the nearest dealer 150 miles away, I'm reluctant to make the investment with out some input.
Thanks
Bob the 50sdiver

Hi Bob,

Truk, huh? Stopping in Guam on your way?? Need a dive buddy??? *grin*

I've never used the Commander, but unless you are going to get into heavy tech/extended range/testosterone diving, you may want to consider looking at the Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox computer. It is another computer that has a deco dive plan mode. It is fairly liberal and it doesn't lock you out (unless you break your deco stop, of course).

You can't change gas mixes underwater, but if you are doing a deco stop on nitrox mix, and it is registering the stop on air, then you have an added safety cushion.

Of course, it is not meant to be an actual "technical diving" computer, so if you are going for that (dual tanks, redundant everything...) then drop the money and get the Cochran. But, if you are just looking for a good, reliable "non-judgemental" computer, the Uwatec is a good one for half the price. Just wanted to give you another option.

Scuba Bunny thanks for the reply and info. I'm still undecide about what to get or even what I need. Most of my diving is whit the fire department and is fairly shallow work <60 fsw usally black.
I hope to get some more responces as its a lot of money, and I don't even have a computer yet to make a comparision.
As far as the dive buddy goes, I don't think my wife, (who's not going), would approve.

Yes I have used the commander - I have the version that also supports CCR (constant PO2) with the extended 500 + hour memory. I have tested this computer against many others (I was given this computer to evaluate by Larry @ cochran)
I did a series of deco dives in Cayman 130-140 range plus some trimix dives 180+ (this doesn't track helium)
In its default conserative factor I probably would have gotten bent.. I remember 1 dive in particular that my ABYSS explorer (mixed gas version) and a Diverite Nitek 3 both had large deco requirements first stop was at 40 ft for a few mins then much longer hangs at shallower depths, the cochran still had no deco time remaining. after adjusting the cf factor it was in better line with the others.
pluses, I like the LED based backlight that gets activated when you tap the computer, allows 2 gasses, standard alkaline batteries. no lockout so you can use it to log dive, 5 second recordings! large numbers - best dive logger of the bunch, indestructable case
minuses - no manual gas switches, if you plan dive with 2 gasses and your planned elapsed bottom time is not met it will not switch to you deco gas so you dont get credit for a gas switch to a deco mix and O2 clock is not right, only 2 gasses.
for comparison - nitek 3, 3 gasses, fixed deco alg, but conserative, best sampling 15 seconds, easy to switch gasses fully manual, small display, locks out on deco violation or o2 violation for 24 hrs.. a pain to use for logging trimix dives if you forget to switch it to guage mode (can't switch if any dive within 24 hours)- For the last 3 years this was my primary computer
ABYSS explorer mixed gas $1400 as tested, nitrox version $800, huge display, 10 gasses, manual or automatic gas selection, 10 deco algs, ccr capable (constant po2) comes with deco planning software.. very long wait time in trying to buy a unit. I got one of the first mixed gas units and the nitrox units just began shipping (I was one of the first)- This is now my primary computer because it handles helium (in mixed gas version)
Hope this gives you some options.. as a joke I was challenged on how many computers I could dive with... I guess this picture will answer your question (i'm wearing about 10k worth of computers.. the silver one is a vr3 (also helium capable))
http://4.21.247.216/photos/joestoys.jpg
Every computer had different info.. it was a pain in the a*S keeping up with all the manual gas switches..

http://www.geocities.com/padiscubapro/index.htm

I have a cochran com. 2 gas computer and love it. I have never had a problem with it. I plan my dive and dive the plan so it doesnt matter to me if I can switch gases underwater. I also carry a bottom timer and back up tables. My buddy sells them and I got mine for cost. If you new me and trusted me I could knock $450 off that $1000 price tag. That price would be for the black unit, 2 gas, red backup light. The only thing I dont like about cochran computers is the software to download your dives to a desktop. It takes awhile to get use to the millions of options it will let you configure for your wrist unit.

I know I can get a Cochran Commander at my LDS for $500, so work the price a little harder and you'll feel better. I've been waiting for it to die down a little on this board as a lot of people didn't like the previous versions. The Commander does some things I like.
Specifically it keeps track of air pressure all of the time, even when turned off. That matters to me as I have to drive over the mountains to dive and live at altitiude. So it's working the problem before I leave home.
Also you can change the batteries, no LDS. Also big display, not cluttered. All I want are the facts.

good luck don O

Hmmm, you must have the new improved version, I have to manually turn the light on before the dive. I didn't pay $1000 for it, that's for sure! When I bought it, Cochran had a deal where if you turned in a hockey-puck dive computer, the price of the Cochran was $400, and I think the normal price at the time was around $700, I'd have to look it up. A buddy of mine had a hockey-puck he gave me.

Originally posted by padiscubapro
Yes I have used the commander - pluses, I like the LED based backlight that gets activated when you tap the computer,
http://www.geocities.com/padiscubapro/index.htm

The Cochran commander is the base wrist or hose model that they manufacture now. It is upgradeable from AIR to 1 Gas Nitrox to 2 gas Nitrox all in the same console. I paid 500 for the 1 gas Nitrox. Its very durable, the taclite is great!!! The best thing about the Cochran Commander is the flexiblity of the thing. Very versatile, and durable... My LDS rep put it on the floor, stood up on it, and jumped up and down on it. He then took it on the cert dives after. Ballsy, and he is a bigger gentleman. It seems that u are talking about the Gemini, its AIR INTEGRATED, and has a Black Box that transmits via radio to a wrist mount unit. Thats about 1000 or more. If you can get that I recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom