CoCo View trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
Just came back last night from a week at CoCo View Resort, Roatan, Honduras. It was our first trip to Roatan, but we've dived all over the Caribbean, including Cozumel, Bonaire, Belize and the Cayman Islands

It was a long trip getting there. We went from San Francisco to Houston on time. We flew from Houston to Roatan, and didn't get there that day. We arrived at the Roatan airport only find the weather didn't allow us to land. We circled around for a while then were diverted to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. We landed and set on the tarmac for about 3 hours, hoping the weather would clear at the Roatan airport. It didn't and we finally deplaned and got our bags, then went thru Customs and Immigration only to stand in line at the United Airlines counter for a long while. We finally got a voucher for taxis both ways, and voucher for the Hilton Princess, and vouchers for dinner and breakfast. They told us to stay inside the hotel and they had armed guards patrolling the grounds. We heard gunshots about 11:00 pm.

We went back to the airport about 8:30 the next morning - the flight was schedule to leave about 11:00 am. The weather didn't clear at the Roatan airport until about 5:30 pm in the afternoon. We ate the boarding gates out of all eats and drinks by that time. The flight crew on the United flight was excellent, but the ground crew at the San Pedro Sula airport left a lot to be desired - no communication at all for most of the day. A short flight into the Roatan airport and we were there about 6:30 pm. Not a good start to the trip - we lost a whole day of diving.

The resort was comfortable - we had one of the over-water bungalows. The food was ample - all buffets; good but not great. The dive operation was superb and the boats were terrific! The boat captain followed us well on all the drift dives and the Dive Master led us to see a lot of creatures. One Dive Master for 16 divers at times, but he handled it well.

It rained every day - we got to see 20 minutes of sun one day. We went with a group of divers that had been there many times in January, and they said the weather was unusual. Because of the all the runoff, the visibility was negatively affected. The shore dive off CoCo View is reputed to be excellent, but we only tried it once - the visibility ranged from 6 inches to 5 feet that one day, and we aborted the dive after 15 minutes on the wreck.

The coral was in great shape and we saw lots of small fish. Only one nurse shark. Lots of free-swimming morays, lots of lobsters, lots of turtles, lots of seahorses. Some nudibranchs. No big fish to speak of - one or two mid-sized groupers.

Sorry it rained so much; sounds like a bit of a downer. I hope to go someday and have high hopes for the shore diving. I appreciate the report, since getting an idea of what the day-to-day procedure is like is nice.

Richard.

Drift dives at CoCo View? Mind you I've only been there 2x, but the boat always tied to a mooring line and we did a great circle dive ending back under the boat.
Was there strong current that required a drift?
The curiosity is killing me.

C.

While I have not done a drift dive at CoCo View, we had a group stay at Reef House Resort and we did a couple of drift dives there. At the end of one of those dives the current was really moving. Thought I was back in Cozumel.

Sorry to hear about the bad weather. We've been the last week of Jan in 2011 and 2012. No rain on the first trip just a lot of wind. Rained a lot last year, but not enough to ruin the visibility.

the rainy season usually runs from Nov thru Mar....luck of the draw if you get a week w/o rain...there are several drift dives the current is usually mild but I have been on a few that moved pretty quickly but that was after the passing of hurricane Wilma and the seas were crazy but it calmed down after a couple of days. thanks for taking the time to write a report:blinking:

About 1/3 of the dives were drift dives. Not much current, but our boat captain was gracious enough to follow us on the wall dives so we didn't have to cover the same ground going back to the boat.

About 1/3 of the dives were drift dives. Not much current, but our boat captain was gracious enough to follow us on the wall dives so we didn't have to cover the same ground going back to the boat.

Just curious which boat were you on? As I was there for an entire month and none of the boats I went on ever did drift dives? There was some current on a few dives, but mostly swam into it for first half of dive, then drifted back to boat for second half.

It rained every day - we got to see 20 minutes of sun one day. We went with a group of divers that had been there many times in January, and they said the weather was unusual. Because of the all the runoff, the visibility was negatively affected. The shore dive off CoCo View is reputed to be excellent, but we only tried it once - the visibility ranged from 6 inches to 5 feet that one day, and we aborted the dive after 15 minutes on the wreck.

Your right, it rained everyday, and rained hard, and was unusually cold for Roatan, a few days in the mid 60's. The visibility was extremely poor in the front yard due to the runoff, but once you got to the safety buoy and were below about 10 feet the visibility was much better, more like 30 to 40 feet in my opinion. Both CocoView Wall and Newmans wall were very dive-able.

When conditions are bad like that in the front yard, I would just recommend surfacing very near the safety buoy, then surface swimming, or alternatively, just stay a foot or two off of the chain and swim quicker than normal to get in.

Sorry you hit the rain bad, and had issues getting to the resort. Sounds like you ended up having some decent boat dives though.

Jason

We were on the first boat. Gringo was the captain and Mark was the DM. They were both super!

Back
Top Bottom