Coconut Water for cramps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And as @Jayfarmlaw mentioned, dehydration can definitely play a role. We use water in hydrolysis reactions to control the movement of the muscle proteins that govern proper contraction and relaxation cycles. So both fatigue and dehydration can definitely contribute to cramps.

@JamesBon92007, Yes, if your potassium levels can be tested with a blood test. Cardiac muscle has some special physiological properties compared to skeletal muscle, but the basic electrophysiological process governing contractions is the same for both muscle types. If your potassium levels are low enough to generate muscle cramps then you may very well experience cardiac arryhmias as well. People tend to attribute muscle cramps to potassium levels far too often. The bigger contributor to muscle cramps is simply fatigue. We store fuel (glucose in the form of glycogen) that is used for energy production (ATP) in muscle cells. Once the muscles have used their stored energy, they can tap fatty acids and glucose from the blood to continue ATP production. Even in the blood stream, however, that fuel supply is limited and/or may not be transferred fast enough enough to generate ATP inside hard working muscles. When ATP levels in the muscles drop, the muscles tend to be unable to release and a cramp ensues. This is one of the reasons that things like coconut water and bananas are helpful, they simply supply a lot of sugar

I had to look up cardiac arrhythmias. Nobody has ever told me I have those, so I guess that's good :) You answered my question about testing for potassium levels.

Do you have a specific brand that you recommend? I tried one can and thought it was awful. Besides not tasting as good as the stuff right out of the coconut it had small pieces of coconut floating around that did not enhance my experience.

I love Bai - the Puna Coconut Pineapple. It's a tad pricey but I'm worth it. I don't drink it for either hydration or potasium levels. I just love the taste.

BTW some "doctor" with an ax to grind was in the news lately saying coconut water, milk, oil will kill you because it has more saturated fat than butter. Guess he didn't see the last 5 years of research that said butter was far better for you than the alternatives.

Definitely coconut. And pineapple. Add rum and ice. Blend.

I used to buy coconuts that had been drained of the water then filled with rum.
Soooo good, coconut flovored rum, it was sold by a guy on a beach in Brazil with who had one eye that was eskew, we always said "yay here comes crazy eye coconut guy".

I love Bai - the Puna Coconut Pineapple. It's a tad pricey but I'm worth it. I don't drink it for either hydration or potasium levels. I just love the taste.

BTW some "doctor" with an ax to grind was in the news lately saying coconut water, milk, oil will kill you because it has more saturated fat than butter. Guess he didn't see the last 5 years of research that said butter was far better for you than the alternatives.

Much to my dismay I'd also read that coconut has too much fat. I also recently read that it's not the cholesterol that will clog your arteries, it's the fat that turns into cholesterol or something like that. At least I've gotten my cholesterol down to normal so I can eat a hamburger once-in-a-while. I've also noticed in my 65 years that something that is good for you now will be bad for you in 20 years, or vice versa. Butter is a good example.

Much to my dismay I'd also read that coconut has too much fat. I also recently read that it's not the cholesterol that will clog your arteries, it's the fat that turns into cholesterol or something like that. At least I've gotten my cholesterol down to normal so I can eat a hamburger once-in-a-while. I've also noticed in my 65 years that something that is good for you now will be bad for you in 20 years, or vice versa. Butter is a good example.

Yep. I have had high cholosterol all my life - through every statin that ever was (and with all their debilitating side effects) as well as every other choloesterol reducing med or suppliment - all with no change in level. Same wiith diet on top of meds. No matter how restrictive, no change in the cholesterol numbers.

Now I say (especially to my cardiologist) I'm 71. Life expectancy for males in my generation is 75. Leave me the eff alone. You have to die from something. And I'm not giving up everything that I like just to spend a few more months in a nursing home. Or worse yet, a few more years.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!
-- Unknown

Yep. I have had high cholosterol all my life - through every statin that ever was (and with all their debilitating side effects) as well as every other choloesterol reducing med or suppliment - all with no change in level. Same wiith diet on top of meds. No matter how restrictive, no change in the cholesterol numbers.

Now I say (especially to my cardiologist) I'm 71. Life expectancy for males in my generation is 75. Leave me the eff alone. You have to die from something. And I'm not giving up everything that I like just to spend a few more months in a nursing home. Or worse yet, a few more years.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!
-- Unknown

The statins worked for me to reduce my cholesterol but after about nine months I began to feel sick all the time. After trying just about everything else on the market my health insurance approved Praluent. I self-inject it every two weeks with an Epi-Pen. My bad cholesterol is now normal and my good cholesterol is normal (but a bit low) and I'm having no bad side effects. Apparently I have "familial hypercholesterolemia" so I qualified. It used to be about $1600/month but now it's down to only $1300! What a deal! I tried apple cider vinegar and would rather have a heart attack than drink that stuff. I already wasn't eating hardly any cholesterol so there was nothing to change on my diet. I exercise regularly so that might be helping too, but I've always exercised. If the statins didn't work then I don't know if the Praluent would, but it might be worth mentioning to your doctor. MediCare is paying for almost all of it for me.

If your potassium levels are low enough to generate muscle cramps, then you are also likely to have some cardiac arrythmias. One of the biggest contributors to muscle cramps is essentially running out of energy in skeletal muscles. The reason that bananas, coconut water, etc. help is that they have sugar, which is a fuel source for working muscles. Good conditioning and good nutrition go a long way towards helping stave off cramps.
I probably should have my potassium levels checked. V8 juice with its loads of potassium stops my cramps both while diving and in the middle of the night.

Doesn’t pickle juice work, too? And that’s very tasty.

Are you using this to chase bad whiskey? (a.k.a. "a pickle back")

I've got to imagine it's the salt in the brine that helps. But it probably won't help with hydration if you're chasing whiskey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom