Cocoview trip, Aug. 17-24, 2013 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I'm back, and my skin is unwrinkling. Not all the way back to teenage-smooth, but at least, to not water-logged wrinkly. This is my second trip to Cocoview, and I enjoyed it greatly. 5 dives a day without huge effort; thanks to Doc (the entity formerly known as RoatanMan), I'll know the next time that I am assaulted by wriggly red worms in the water column at night, I can use my light to feed corals and lobsters.

If you haven't been to Cocoview--it's a dive resort. The accommodations are not fancy. They're comfortable enough, and clean enough. The food is plain but plentiful; the boat captains and DM's are nice, helpful, and quite skilled. The staff is friendly. Don't expect a turned down bed at night with a chocolate on your pillow. (Heck, don't expect your doors to seal completely, or your screen doors to fit squarely!). Think more like kids' summer camp cabins, but with air conditioning (which does work); private bathrooms, and really, really easy and mellow diving.

If you come as a single diver (as I did), you can easily find buddies. If you're comfortable with "going it alone", go for it. (But be sure to dive within the limits of your training and experience). If you feel more comfortable with a buddy within a few fin strokes, those are easy to find too. Dining companions are also easy. Find the motley crew from your boat--or the folks from the cabin next door. Or find a different set of dining companions every day. The couples, groups, and families who want privacy will generally sit at a small table. The gregarious types will sit at large tables with extra (inviting) empty spaces. The party types will hang out at the bar and consume post-diving alcohol (I'm not asking if they consumed before going on a dive; I'm sure some do--but I ask no questions). The quiet types will retire to their rooms and sort photos or read books.

As many have said, be sure to take your diving nice and slow. Packing a small magnifying glass with you is fun. The fresnel credit-card sized flat magnifiers do work underwater, but not as well as the glass-lensed magnifiers. I did not have sufficient hands (or dexterity or experience) to take a picture of an object thru the magnifying glass underwater. (Heck, I tried doing that above ground with the housing--no go).

Here's a "highlights" photo slide show:

CCV 2013 Photo Digest Slideshow by hydtran | Photobucket

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could identify the juvenile filefish near the end of the slideshow. (I don't think it's Waldo).

I shot a few videos. I'm nowhere near as skilled as, say, robint--but this video is my favorite. (The critters shown are also my favorite--especially breaded with marinara sauce on the side :wink: )

Reef squid at Pirate's Point, Roatan - YouTube

This video is going thru an optional swim-thru at one of the newly moored sites:

Pond View wall swim-thru - YouTube

And although I kept looking for zombie parrotfish, I did not find any. Lots of stoplight parrotfish, queen parrotfish, and princess parrotfish. (No peas for the princess parrotfish, though). Lots of brain corals, though, so this is an ideal habitat for the parrotfish zombie apocalypse.

nice report,thnx for sharing

Here's a "highlights" photo slide show:

I see you found great sport in challenging that little red & white snapper shrimp living under the Pedersen Shwimps in the Corkscrew Anemone. Nice find- so few people even notice these critters that hide in plain sight!

That "Turtle bubble shot" is very cool.

And that is one big mess of Squidlets on the video.

Thanks so much for the report and photos :D I loved the ones of the yellow headed jawfish and garden eels!

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could identify the juvenile filefish near the end of the slideshow. (I don't think it's Waldo).

juvenile Slender filefish :) nice reports and pics

Thanks so much for the report and photos :D I loved the ones of the yellow headed jawfish and garden eels!

Just for you, CajunDiva:

P1010607.jpgP1010894.jpg

Any idea whether you could rent a pony bottle or spare air there, as a backup air source for solo diving?

By the way, what is this thing? (I'm linking your photo to show here)

Richard.

Box crab; most likely flame box crab.

One of my boat buddies carried a spare air. You can travel with them on the airplane, suitably emptied. You fill them from one of the cylinders there.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 09:04 PM ----------

Awwwww...you're too kind :blinking:

Love those little guys :D

I like them too. If there are no other divers nearby, you can settle on the sand (my buoyancy and trim is not good enough to hover 2 inches above the sand), and they'll pop out of their holes to check you out.

I'm also very fond of spotting flounder, and sneaking up on them. I have a ton of flounder photos, but decided not to inflict them all upon you.

Parrotfish and sharpnose puffers do not like paparazzi. The parrotfish will let you get close, but as soon as you bring your camera forward, they turn tail. The sharpnose puffers like to taunt you. They hang there, waiting for you to approach. When they see your finger depress the camera shutter, they turn and swim away.

Nice trip report hdtran. I like your swim thru vid of the new site. We just missed you as we are here now. I like that new sites are being added on. We did a new one yesterday called First Bight. We saw a shortfin pipefish, a harlequin pipefish, and a squadron of squid. Very nice.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Not great quality. Couldn't get my stobe working on the second one. I found it helps if you put the batteries in correctly instead of waking up late and rushing the job of assembly. And first photo the guy was hidden but I am not one to prod and poke at them just to get the photo I want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom