CoCoView without Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That example profile Doc posted includes 7:55 worth of SIT. You should be able to safely reduce that quite a bit on nitrox if you so desired.

He probably did something wild and crazy like stopping for lunch and dinner.

Reactions: Doc
You might have already decided, but I figured I'd add my recent experience. I do have my Nitrox cert, but elected to not pay for Nitrox at CCV when I was there the week of 01/17. I did a total of 23 dives between Sunday and Friday afternoon for just over 21 hours dive time per my computers. I think I hit one bar of yellow one afternoon, but otherwise all of the days and dives were green.

For me it was simply cost related. I'll dive Nitrox on liveaboards where all 4+ dives are typically 60+ feet to get to the coral heads, but at CCV the drop dives are so very shallow, I didn't think it was needed and in hindsight, I'm glad with my decision.

either way you end up, have a safe and fun trip.

Nitrox is probably the easiest and most useful certification to get after your C-Card.

I wouldn't sweat getting it before the trip. Easy enough to do when you are at Cocoview.

....Do they require "advanced" OW to do Mary's Place?

To expand on the answer you already have seen, CCV requires only a simple C Card. Their pre-dive orientation, paraphrasing: We treat you as adults, behave accordingly. When the DM asks "if anyone going below 100fsw?", either identify yourself and be left alone to do what you please, or you will be speaking with the DiveCon.

Before anyone asks, yes- this also includes any other activity that you might otherwise be awarded a "patch" for course completion. The lead Instructor there, Patty, has been on location for maybe 25 years? She is superb with noobs and can give an PhD a run with her Naturalist abilities. She even knows the critter's fancy Latin names and their behaviors, too.

Your first dive is an "Orientation" where they will show you the distinct mechanical landmarks of the shore dive, it's route through the coral, the Shipwreck, the DC3 and the two walls. Pay attention. For those who are obviously lacking in skills, there might be some "check out" drills, but not for the vast majority of guests. Just learn the "Front Yard" and the landmarks- this shore dive is just the best in the Caribbean. <-that there is a period

That example profile Doc posted includes 7:55 worth of SIT. You should be able to safely reduce that quite a bit on nitrox if you so desired.

I really don't know anyone would have the energy to do more BT and less SIT, but some young whippersnappers do.

Ok, I'm a little envious.

One thing I will second DOC on; the shore diving is great. Personally, the older I get the more I enjoy the ease of shore diving.

Robint,

So what are you shooting with now? Have you gone the GoPro route?

yes, I got tired of toting around my big rig and packing it means one less bag. GoPro is just so much easier. Resolution isn't as great and the fixed focus is something to get used to, but it works overall. I use mine topside, too, so it works out better for me.

I got my nitrox cert and have never used it. Even on Bonaire where the nitrox is free. It's just too much of a pita to calibrate the tool, test every tank, and log it in. I want to grab a tank and get in the water. Just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom