Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually take fresh ground beans we vacuum pack or just bag up, an aero press or a V60, and our club mates tend to bring French press. Within the UK where we often drive to meet the boat, I have been known to bring a coffee dripper with me!
Rich

Excellent! Or should I say brilliant! What is a V60? Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Goes over top the cup with a filter for single cup of coffee;

Edit: 21-36 grams of freshly ground beans (or whatever you prefer)

I agree, nothing like a great cup of coffee:)

shopping

I've never been on a liveaboard, so I'm not sure how much space is available.

I'm a coffee snob, roast my own beans, espresso machine, 2 grinders, french press, aero press, Harrio V60 for pour over, drink it black etc, etc.

I take my pour over grinder and the V60 with a few filters as it's the easiest and most compact, nice clean cup. I put everything in a milk cart anytime we go away. I also take an electric kettle, but a thermometer and a boiling pot of water would work. I don't use boiling water for coffee. Depending what kind of coffee it is, usually anywhere from 165f-185f (which is why the thermometer would be a must for me). To me, boiling water over extracts the coffee and it tastes bitter.

They make hand grinders, but a good one with consistent grind size can get expensive ($250-$300). They are really nice, and there's something about making coffee in the morning and enjoying the silence (my grinder kills that). I do not own a hand grinder, but a buddy of mine has one and he says it's great for going anywhere.

You'll get sub par coffee this way, it'll degrade a lot faster than beans freshly ground.

I was buying the beans and grinding my own coffee, then started buying it ground for French Press from my local coffee person. I think it still tastes really good. But now I'm thinking of grinding again just to taste the difference lol

I will bring something I like, and also pick something up while I'm away for the same reason. It's a hit or miss (which is why I bring something I like).

Just realized the aero press would probably be more compact, but I tend to prefer the cleaner cup with the V60.

Are we not supposed to post in the woman's forum? If not, my apologies.

I just read my post.... I sound like an old man, lol.

Wouldn't it be easier to grind your beans just before a trip, and then place in a sealed bag?

Of course it would be easier and I've done it on a few trips. A grinder doesn't weigh much or take up much space.

Aero press is like a small french press, a little more bold (so some fines in the bottom) . The V60 is like a small dripper, a little more subtle (no fines / clean cup).

Goes over top the cup with a filter for single cup of coffee;

Edit: 21-36 grams of freshly ground beans (or whatever you prefer)

I agree, nothing like a great cup of coffee:)

shopping
I've never tried that. How does it compare to French Press? Seems easier, especially for a trip.

Here is a hand grinder. This one come pretty highly recommended. Easy to use, compact, and if I'm being honest does a better job grinding than my electric grinder.

Apollo manual hand grinder

800x.webp

I've never tried that. How does it compare to French Press? Seems easier, especially for a trip.

Aero press is like a small french press, a little more bold (so some fines in the bottom) . The V60 is like a small dripper, a little more subtle (no fines / clean cup).

We drink coffee Russian/Turkish style. Meaning, freshly ground coffee plus water (2 teaspoons per cup) are heated just to the boiling point in a device like this, and that's it. My wife prefers to filter her coffee while I drink it raw. No presses or coffee-makers of any kind should be used. When we travel, we take ground coffee with us, or, when on liveaboards, succumb to the necessary evil of drinking whatever caffeine-high junk they can offer, keeping in mind, that such coffee is probably bad for your liver. Sometimes, we also take some instant coffee instead.

Back
Top Bottom