Coiba Island - Know before you go!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warning: original post was an 11/07 trip

To avoid similar problems in the future we have posted this warning about possible problems at our website.

I can't locate that. You had better post which cameras are "normal looking" because broadcast quality is fast becoming a consumer reality.

Please read the review so you are not surprised!

I would be more ready to say "Aww gee, what a bummer", but....

Anyone who cyber-squats on an obvious website address ripoff that was created to divert legit search engine traffic from the dive shop that cranked you off... you have earned my hairy eyeball. Your rant is posted on your website that you paid for at www,coibascuba,com versus their existing legit site of scubacoiba.com :no:

That aside, yes, you probably got squeezed by some local uniformed goofs. Welcome to extreme adventure travel. I aint sayin' it's right, I'm just letting you know that you're not in Oklahoma anymore. Get used to machine guns. That's where you'll find the better diving.

I say this also, because it is obvious in the selected pics posted on your website that you tried to paint the worst possible image of this dive op. Nice images. For me? They made me want to go. Any place that doesn't have a posted menu of OW dives or a paved floor is attractive. Your clever caption about bananas was indicative.

I have been to dozens of dive ops that looked like this, and many which were even more tribal. When you decide to play with the big kids, this is what you may find that suffices locally as a dive op. I didn't see any cattle, which means that you'll probably not be served dinner there, either. I like the place that had a few goats penned up. Yummy.

Again- I am not saying it was right. But welcome to the big leagues.

Last edited:
WOW! I just googled "Coiba Scubabaord" and this is what came up, how sad.

I think taking a great web address like that & posting this - is about the most despicable thing I've ever seen in the diving world. What is your problem dude? I understand you had a bad trip, that's all well and good, post away, but taking a valuable name like that so you can slander the place?

If you don't like rustic traveling, don't travel to rustic places - how much thought does it that to figure that out? You got hassled by "the man" wow - that's an amazingly unique experience... only happens in Coiba.

I'm really disappointed to see this. I've only dove the Caribbean side of Panama, and I've never seen Coiba, but it looks awesome and I'm stoked to check it out. Reading your slander, I'm not concerned about the accommodations, dive ops, or dive sites... I'm only concerned I might have a dive buddy that's like you!!!

Delete your site man, get a life, and move on. It's not easy to hack it in a place like that as it is. Your criticism isn't constructive, it's malicious, and you should be ashamed. It's sad that you'll be taken seriously and might divert someone from a great trip. Dive somewhere I don't!

-Scotty

Well said. Coiba diving is awesome. Yes, it is rustic. But Scuba Coiba is professional, the diving is loaded with fish and inverts and rock formations, and Santa Catalina is a nice little town.

After many years of avoiding this site, I was finally sucked in by someone who pointed me to this yahoo's post. First things first...consider the source. This guy has barely done any diving, has only been to dive locales which don't require a (US) passport and is an obvious badge collector (your dive shop loves you, brutha).

Having said that, I dove with Herbie in 2005 and had an entirely different experience. I found him and his staff to be very professional (and I am no pushover), was able to shoot with my professional rig (still; I am a semi-pro photog) and even had a nice chat with the rangers who peppered me with questions about it (the camera). Oh yeah, the diving was superb. So much so that I've spent the past four years planning a liveaboard trip to explore the parts that I wasn't able to get to. We shove off in late April!

I have no idea what transpired between imaswfan and the rangers, but like most soldiers/police/rangers in foreign countries, they don't like gringo dicks who profess a sense of entitlement (which this guy so obviously does). Basically, RoatanMan has already said what needs to be said (about this guy and some other finer points about how best to enjoy our fine hobby). I will just add that it's probably a good idea to learn some Spanish, get some manners and embrace the oh-so-true axiom..."you get more with honey than vinegar."

Go to Panama....it's a kickass country with lots to offer..on land AND underwater! If anyone wants to see some shots I took or has any questions about Coiba diving, just PM me.

Anyone interested in diving Coiba (as well as Cocos and Malpelo) you might want to check out this liveaboard. I haven't heard anything about them yet, but the photos and locations look awesome.

M/V Yemaya: www.coibadiveexpeditions.com

Last edited:
oooh...pricey! should anyone go on this boat, please do report back to this thread. we're going on the Inula in April. you'll have to google it since the cops on this site won't let me post their URL.

I was early may 2008 for 1 Week in Santa Catalina diving with Scuba Coiba.

I shot around 300 Pictures with my UW-Cam and had NO problems with:
-Rangers
-Scuba Coiba
-Lack of fish

This guys and girls did a professional and personal service and diving with them the marvellous Isla Coiba was fun, interesting and simple BEAUTIFUL.

I recommend them to everybody and i'm awaiting to get some days off to return to do some other dives there.

Chris Karrer

Yemaya does live-a-board trips as combinations Coiba/Cocos and Coiba/Malpelo. The operation is managed by Kevan Mantell who is a highly respected dive professional and knows the diving in this area for many years. Yemaya just started their operation, but Kevan has years of live-a-board experience in the area. He worked as divemaster at Coiba Explorer in the 90Ž´s, co owned Twin Oceans in Portobello and worked for Albatross Media as diving coordinator mainly within the "Marine corridor of the Tropical Eastern Pacific" what includes Coiba (PA), Cocos (CR), Galapagos (EC), Malpelo and Gorgona (CO).

We - Scuba Coiba - are a land based operator working out of Santa Catalina since 2003, offering day trips to Coiba and also multi day trips staying at the ranger station at Coiba for several days.

Arghhh,
shame on me!
:shocked2: :depressed:

I confused the names of the 2 dive shops in Santa Catalina :confused:

I always dove with Coiba Dive Center and never dove with Scuba Coiba.

Sorry Scuba Coiba, but to be honest i have to correct that.

Due to that i have no idea how Scuba Coiba works, but i guess that the work as well as Scuba Dive Center.

A big Sorry for that!!!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom