Cold/Flu Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I could use some comments or help on this one:
I am signed up to do my AOW certification this weekend. I also somehow managed to pick up a flu or cold with a sore throat, congestion and a low fever this past week (wonder if being on a plane or attending a convention had anything to do with that :) ).
I am leaning toward cancelling the weekend dives, since I don't feel good and the water is going to be in the 50's at best.
What would you do?
T

Reschedule, you'll make yourself sicker by diving.

I have tried all the decongestants, nose spray, etc to get air to pass through my system enough to suffer through a dive. Sudafed works wonders, Afrin closes the deal if its in your nose instead. But it will prolong the sickness, make the diving miserable, and could get you hurt if don't get your airways opened up enough with drugs.

Cancel, without a boubt. DANGER WILL ROBINSON! You won't be at your best and you will be at risk of multiple pressure injuries to your ears and lungs for openers. As you should know free air movement within these body parts is critical for safe and enjoyable diving. Cold water will exacerbate any conjestion and further weaken you.

Pete

Thank you. All of you are echoing what I am thinking as well. Dives have been cancelled.
T

Stay home, get drunk and watch Sports.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Stay home, get drunk and watch Sports.

Gary D.

Many years ago, someone I knew recommended a good bourbon for a cold.

Now that I am older, I know there is no scientific basis for it whatsoever.

I still choose to believe.

My rule of thumb is simple. Regardless of the reason, if you have a concern about a dive it is best to scrub it and try again another day. I would rather miss one dive because I didn't feel right about it than risk losing multiple dives (or worse) because I ignored my thoughts and went on a dive I that I didn't feel comfortable with.

JMO,
Andrew

Remember, you get what you pay for . . . So, in a word, don't.

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom