*cold* neck collar - drysuit newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrofunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made my first ever drysuit dives this weekend in a new DUI TLS350. On both dives, the bib on my hood came untucked from the "warm neck collar". Not only did I get cold along the bit of exposed neck seal (I have latex), but I looked like a tool: the bib sort of flared out in a goofy halo around my neck.

Does anybody have any hints for keeping it tucked?

Thanks!

I have the same type of hood and a DUI CLX450. The only way I have found to prevent my self from looking like a tool when I dive is to not move my head! I know of Quite a few other drysuit divers with the warm neck colar that use a hood that has a zipper up the back and doesent have the collar, This seems to work well for them, Im thinking Im going to go in that direction as well! Since you are in the bay area you might check out Otter Bay Custom Wetsuits, they make what is commonly refered to as the best drysuit hood ever! Its custom so its a bit more expensive, but it also fits perfectly and wont make you look like a tool! Seasoft and DUI also make a nice hood with a zipper.

See you in the water.
Phil

Have you considered using an attached dry hood?
Diving dry with a wet head is like wearing a raincoat during a storm with the hood down.
Having a dry head also reduces the instances of "surfer's ear", a promoter of ear infections and an annoying cause of hearing loss, tinnitus, etc.

astrofunk:
I made my first ever drysuit dives this weekend in a new DUI TLS350. On both dives, the bib on my hood came untucked from the "warm neck collar". Not only did I get cold along the bit of exposed neck seal (I have latex), but I looked like a tool: the bib sort of flared out in a goofy halo around my neck.

Thanks!

Generall, hoods specifically made for drysuits are not as long as wetsuit hoods, nor do they have a bib. You may want to look into a different type of hood.

phylo:
I have the same type of hood and a DUI CLX450. The only way I have found to prevent my self from looking like a tool when I dive is to not move my head!

That sound's about right. Since I'm new to drysuit diving, these dives were rather, um, "acrobatic" as I tried to manage the gas in my suit. I'm sure this will settle down with experience.

As for whether or not this is an appropriate hood for dry suit diving: this is the DUI hood that shipped with the suit. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best hood for the job, but at least somebody thinks it's the right thing to wear.

I'll check out Otter Bay's hoods. They once did a fantastic job of altering a wetsuit for me. It's a really nice operation.

Yeah, what SubMariner said!

I ended up with a no-bib hood and just put up with a little bit of cold water in the neck area. A bib might theoretically be warmer... until it comes untucked... then it'll be worse. Couldn't afford (or really need) a dry hood.

If you're interested, this is the drysuit hood I use, having had no trouble yet:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=28510&pf_id=69305

In my experience it works a lot better to use a 3mm to 5mm neck warmer. These can be easily sewn from any suitable neoprene, or for the none DIY inclined, the ACE banadage people make a neoprene wrap that works perfectly, just warp it around your latex neck seal and secure it, then put on a regular dry suit hood.

astrofunk:
Dang, man! Anybody want to buy a DUI "warm neck" hood? Only been dove twice...

:lol2:

We feel your pain, bro.

If it's any consolation, my hood is like a bazillion years old & is the one that came with my original 1/4" neoprene Wardell suit. But it's NOT a "dry" hood & I've had to pour hot water into it & my gauntlets on more than one cold Canuck dive. :wink:

Of course I tend to favour neoprene seals, which add some warmpth. :thumb:

Bonne chance,

astrofunk:

Thanks!

Sounds like your hood is designed for wetsuits if it has a bib. A drysuit hood as no bib. I dive an Oceanic Aerdura with a "warm neck" over the latex seal along with a drysuit hood with no bib..... works great for me! :crafty:

I don't suggest zippered hoods to anyone, the pressure of your mask strap presses the zipper into the back of your skull, not a pleasant feeling for most folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom