*cold* neck collar - drysuit newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem with my CLX450 and DUI hood when I first started diving dry.

I've found that my hood will always stay tucked in if I remember to put my hood on BEFORE I put on my BC. My theory is the BC shoulder straps press down on the warm-neck collar and hold the hood's skirt in place.

Once in a while I'll forget and put my BC on first, then do my best to tuck the hood into the collar ... it pops out about half the time.

Canadian_Diver:
Sounds like your hood is designed for wetsuits if it has a bib.

Well, the drysuit is a DUI TLS350. It has this sort of neoprene sleeve on the chest area designed to mate with this particular hood. Like I said, it's the hood that shipped with the suit, so somebody thinks they work together. I'll be the first to attest that -- unless you hold very still -- it doesn't do a great job. By now I've talked to a few other folks with this suit & hood combination; some of 'em make it work.

When I recover from the financial blow of the suit itself, I'll likely pick up a hood of the sort some of you guys have been describing. Thanks!

I also dive a TLS350. I had a custom hood made. I have never used the DUI hood that came with the suit, and I still have it in the original plastic bag.

With my custom hood, I have no problem at all. It is quite snug, and this can make it harder to put on. However, once on, it keeps my warm even down to my neck seal. I use the latex seals on my suit.

The DUI warm neck hood is used by many cave divers using drysuits. It tucks into the warm neck collar on the DUI suits. It's not just for wet suits. It really nice when the flow is high. With a short neck hood, you can have some leakage in high flow conditions.

Canadian_Diver:
Sounds like your hood is designed for wetsuits if it has a bib. A drysuit hood as no bib. I dive an Oceanic Aerdura with a "warm neck" over the latex seal along with a drysuit hood with no bib..... works great for me! :crafty:

I don't suggest zippered hoods to anyone, the pressure of your mask strap presses the zipper into the back of your skull, not a pleasant feeling for most folks.

astrofunk:
Well, the drysuit is a DUI TLS350. It has this sort of neoprene sleeve on the chest area designed to mate with this particular hood. Like I said, it's the hood that shipped with the suit, so somebody thinks they work together. I'll be the first to attest that -- unless you hold very still -- it doesn't do a great job. By now I've talked to a few other folks with this suit & hood combination; some of 'em make it work.

When I recover from the financial blow of the suit itself, I'll likely pick up a hood of the sort some of you guys have been describing. Thanks!

Yup, I have the same kind of neoprene collar / sleeve around the neck, starting from the collar bone up, that goes all the way around. I did use a wetsuit hood with a bib, but it was a pain in the rear end.

Good luck and good diving!

Back
Top Bottom