cold vs warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrillhouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So far I've only done cold water, as my OW was done here in Vancouver, BC. I've been incredibly impressed by what I've seen so far, but would still like to give warm water a go sometime soon.

What do you all prefer and why? Which do you find more interesting?

I've done a bunch of both, and it's a good question.

I definitely prefer water I can see through.

It's pleasant to wear little exposure protection and little weight, because it makes diving easy. But some of the finest diving I've done yet was in Los Angeles, where the water temps were in the high 50s, the visibility was a hundred feet, and the colors were magnificent.

So I guess I'd say that, if the viz is good, I don't really care all that much whether the water is cold or warm, except that I can stay in the warm water longer. I've seen equally exciting and amazing things in both environments.

Both are good. I'm personally a fan of cold water diving, I find the added challenge makes it more rewarding and that the local sites differ more from each other than the tropical sites I've dove. When the viz gets good here, nothing can beat a nice cold BC dive.

Warm water is a nice break from all the gear and I've found that even in what were considered harsh conditions where I was diving it's really way easier. What's really nice is getting on the boat after a dive, having minimal gear to deal with and just enjoying the sun. Since you live in Vancouver you may not know what the sun is. Don't worry, you'll enjoy it.

The bottom line is that if I could only dive one for the rest of my life, it would be cold water, more challenge, greater diversity of life (you just have to look harder for it) and greater differentiation between sites. But the warm water diving sure is fun for a vacation trip.

More people travel from cold water to dive warm, then travel from warm water to dive cold. That should tell you something. OTOH, I have 10-15 times as many dives in cold water as in warm. It's closer & cheaper, (no travel or hotel expenses). I know plenty of divers in San Diego who started here but now only dive on tropical vacations. I also now divers here who will dive local when conditions are so bad that you can't see the ends of your fins. I don't do that anymore.(unless it's lobster season).

The beauty of local diving is that in about 1/2 an hour I can be totally immersed in nature and removed form the day-to-day world. Nothing else can do that as quickly and completely where I live.

Tropical diving, OTOH, is like dying and going to heaven. It's easy, comfortable, beautiful and fun. You see new critters and corals, and women diving in bikinis. I just got back from La Paz where I dove with angelfish, sea lions, whale sharks and beautiful French women. I can't wait to go back.

So, if you can handle the challenge of cold water diving, and it's at your doorstep, count yourself lucky. And if you can afford to do a tropical vacation, count yourself doubly lucky.

As several have said, both environments are interesting, and visibility is probably a more meaningful parameter than temperature. But, which is preferable is a subjective matter. If you have a chance to dive the Caribbean (Bonaire, Roatan, etc. etc), do it and see what you like the best. I suspect you will find both equally appealing. As also mentioned, part of the 'preference' may simply be ease of access. I live 4 hours (2 hr drive, 2 hr boat ride) from some very good warmer water wreck diving (NC coast). But, I live 30 minutes from a cold water quarry, so that is what I dive the most, and I really like my drysuit Of course, if I could spend several weeks every year in Bonaire, that would be something. Warm water, shore diving, pleasant climate.

First of all I can't ignore accessibility in my answer. My world is cold water and I can have it any time that schedule and conditions permit. That being said I have adapted to cold water, I know what to expect and can see the cool things like the changes of the seasons from dive to dive, month to month, season to season, year to year.

Warm water is likely to have much better visibility which is fun. I'm accustomed do diving in a smaller space with 10-20 foot visibility being common and in that space there is usually more than I can absorb so I don't fee cheated and enjoy wondering what lurks in the haze. Having no trouble whatsoever keeping track of a buddy or having long range vision in clear water is nice.

Warmer water is.....warmer. There's not too much to not like about less protection and lead.

Cold water has a more tactical feel with sort of a "mission accomplished feel at the end. Warm water is more carefree.

I prefer our north Atlantic plant life. Of what I have seen so far in warm water (Bonaire) Coral was neat and different but I found it to mostly be static and those great colors you see in photo's only really appear under lights once you do down do a reasonable depth. Our bottom is just more alive with color and motion with stuff swaying in the surge. The fact that most of our dives tend to be shallower than dropping off a reef of course gives us an advantage with the spectrum of light.

As for fish... In warm water you will see more fish more often and they will be more colorful by a country mile.

I need to pack and travel for warm water but then I'm on vacation away from it all.

I have found that anything that mixes it up will help keep the sport intersting and challenging. The Caribbean, springs of Florida, local fresh water, or the Quaries of Connecticut or Ohio, it's all good.

It's all good and your local diving will have you totally prepared to have a ball when you have the opportunity to travel.

Pete

Bonaire.

(I find that one word can answer about 90 percent of the questions here on SB:eyebrow:)

Cold water. Are you kiding?

I think it would depend on what you consider to be cold water diving. Great wrecks = mostly cold. Cool looking sea life = mostly warm. Lots of exceptions obviously. I echo S. Starfish's feelings. I like the challenge and the gear of cold water diving

Cold water. Are you kidding?

Cold water, hands down. Sure, there is more gear to contend with, but the "stuff" that you see more than makes up for it. But you'll find your buoyancy spot on when going from cold water to warm water.

Look at the pictures in my picasaweb gallery to compare some warm water and cold water dives.

Plus, it's pretty cool when you do get a chance to go to the warm water spots and the DM gives you the three big questions (how many dives do you have, when was your last dive, where do you normally dive). When you answer the last one "Monterey or Carmel," they just go "oh, ok" and go to the next diver. :eyebrow:

And if anyone thinks that there's more color in warm water, PM me and I'll take you diving when you're in my area.

Back
Top Bottom