cold vs warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prefer warm water. I used to dive cold water but I really hate the feeling of being constrained in all that exposure protection. Once I experienced warm water, I soon quit cold water diving.

I like them both. I live inland in MD and since we get pretty nasty winters water temps drop off to mid-forties in November thirties through the rest of the winter. Cold water makes for a less intrusive expierence, at least locally, since there aren't many divers in the water and viz is typically better. I also like the intensity of cold water diving and the way people look at you like you are crazy for getting in.

Though warm water diving is far more comfortable and convienant. Overall I like diving, cold or warm.

where i dive the water changes temp throughtout the year. summers are warm and the winters get cold. ( goes from 88 degrees in the summer to 55 degrees in the winter.) its nice to get the change. there are some cold water fish that you dont see in the warm waters and vice versa. But. I love the warm water, it is so liberating to get into the water without a thick wetsuit to get on and off with hoods and gloves and booties. And for me the first 5 min in cold water is the worst.( i dont have a dry suit) that first moment of cold water seeping down my back as i was nice and warm just the few minutes before, kills me. ( but ofcourse after 5 min im semi back to normal and enjoying the underwater sites.)

Water temp doesn't much matter to me. Visibility and critters are far more important. For example, while most warm-water locations just blow me away with their great vis and abundant marine life, I found Maui and Cozumel a bit disappointing ... there's more cool stuff to see here in the Pacific Northwest. But, of course, we rarely get the kind of vis those places typically offer.

... and warm water diving is typically so much easier due to fact that you don't need much exposure equipment, and hence not much weight. That's attractive ... I imagine that when I retire, I'll seek out a place to live that provides warm water diving just so I can dive for a few more years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Water's cold year round here (at least on the bottom). Even in the dead of summer when the surface has warmed up to 75 degrees water temps below 100' are still in the low 40s & i wouldnt trade it for anything. The cold has kept our wrecks in phenomenol shape. Even after 150 years on the bottom, some of the wrecks look like you could raise them & sail away.

So far I've only done cold water, as my OW was done here in Vancouver, BC. I've been incredibly impressed by what I've seen so far, but would still like to give warm water a go sometime soon.

What do you all prefer and why? Which do you find more interesting?

I do a lot of what I consider to be cold water diving. Not everyone's definition of cold is the same, though. A lot of the deeper stuff around here never really warms up much, and below 50F I would consider cold. The mid-range for me is around 55F to 70F, and in this range, the water, while not really tropical, is relatively warm to me and I have lighter and thinner thermal protection which makes diving seem easier than when wearing full thermals for temperatures in the 40F range, for example. Above 75F is pretty tropical and I can dive wet quite comfortably for long periods. However, I like it all, it's just a matter of making sure you have the right thermal protection.

Plus, it's pretty cool when you do get a chance to go to the warm water spots and the DM gives you the three big questions (how many dives do you have, when was your last dive, where do you normally dive). When you answer the last one "Monterey or Carmel," they just go "oh, ok" and go to the next diver. :eyebrow: .

I have to agree with Danno on this one. When I began my diving adventures, it was in Monterey. Shore diving and in cold water. While just at the Breakwater where, towards the pier, there can be precious little to see in the sandy bits, I don't think that I ever appreciated the cold water environments until I started doing more diving this year - exploring different areas of the BW, and different dive sites. The colors are amazing, and the diving is immensely rewarding. I don't think I would ever willingly sit out a dive b/c of the dive being in cold water. Although I know the limits of the exposure protection that I use.

That being said, I have to echo some of the sentiments of other divers about the lure of warm water, less gear, easy diving. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to hit some warm water either. :) But, as Danno said, when you go to warm water dive shops and tell them your normal diving haunts - there is a certain amount of respect given for those who dive cold waters (kudos to you further north than me!!!) because it does show a dedication to diving, a knowledge of skills in "less than 'vacation' water diving", etc.

And if anyone thinks that there's more color in warm water, PM me and I'll take you diving when you're in my area.

Danno - I want to actually dive with you sometime. We've been topside a few times now, but never underwater!!! My legs can't keep up with that inflatable's engine! :blush:

I'm reading lots of generalizations that aren't accurate.

Difficult and easy conditions exist in both warm and cold water locations. Heavier wet suits and/or dry suits do not make dives hard. Learning to use and becoming comfortable with gear that was previously not familiar pretty much takes care of those issues, although it is harder to carry an extra 15 - 20 lbs of lead.

Visibility rarely has anything to do with water temperature, although I'm told the best visibility in the world is under ice. Venice Beach has water temps higher than the temperature of your skin by summer's end so you can get overheated even diving nekked, yet visibility is often measured in inches.

While cold fresh water preserves wrecks in amazing ways, there are awesome wrecks in warm water, they just don't last as long.

There are places in both warm and cold water locations with beautiful and exciting aquatic creatures.

Anyone who limits themselves to one type of diving is truly missing out on some fabulous experiences.

So far I've only done cold water, as my OW was done here in Vancouver, BC. I've been incredibly impressed by what I've seen so far, but would still like to give warm water a go sometime soon.

What do you all prefer and why? Which do you find more interesting?

My preference isn't warm vs cold - its not as simple as that.

For example here in the UK we have cold water, rough seas, currents and poor visibility BUT we have lots of fish life and more importantly to me LOTS of wrecks so the diving is pretty good.
I worked in Greece with warm, calm, very clear waters that had absolutely nothing to see due to the fish being spared/dynamited and so on and the rocks were bare - like the surface of the moon. So although the waters were warm it was dull and uninteresting as nothing to see.

I'd like to dive Norway at some point - cold water but fantastic visibility AND superb fairly intact wrecks. Then again, Truk Lagoon is also on my life - warm water, fantastic visibility and wrecks.

So for me its not a case of temperature, its a case of what there is to see. I'd rather dive in cold water with low vis if there is more to see than empty warm, clear waters.

I'm reading lots of generalizations that aren't accurate.

Difficult and easy conditions exist in both warm and cold water locations. Heavier wet suits and/or dry suits do not make dives hard.

I agree, however, all else being equal, I find that having thinner exposure protection makes diving seem easier to me under similar conditions. For example, in warmer waters I don't have to wear as thick liners in my drygloves, which makes for better tactile sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom